Help! Peugeot 306TD not starting

Hi all,

I've been working on my car to get through the retest. What I have done is replace the suspension arm ball joint and offside steering rack gaiter. I tried to replace NS steering gaiter but failed.

Now, the car wont start. Battery is a little flat, but jumpstart fails too (decent jump leads). Is there anything that I could have messed up fixing the car? Perhaps I could have disturbed wiring or something?

I've also noticed that the STOP light is on when I turn on the ignition ... perhaps it's always been like that .... but you kinda notice things when somethings not working properly :)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

the stop light would normally show upon turning on the ignition, it should extinguish when the engine starts.

If the battery is low then either charge it and test it / replace it.

Diesels always need plenty of battery power to start.

I doubt whether there is any new fault on your car.

Unless you use professional jumper leads then you will not get enough current transfer for an immediate start, leaving the leads you have got connected while running the other car for a half hour may get enough juice into your battery for it to start, but a good and charged battery on your car is a better option.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Check the metal claws of the professional jumpleads actually make proper contact with the battery terminals or whatever? I've seen some pumped up 'heavy duty' ones with a lot of impressive plastic shrouding that unfortunately gets in the way of the clamping action for the tiny metal strips enclosed.

Reply to
Adrian C

Thanks Mrcheerful ... this is reassuring. I'll get a charger tomorrow and make sure that I have full charge before trying again.

Reply to
marpate1

Thanks Adrian, even though I had the jump leads in place, it was a slowish turn over so perhaps you are right and the contact was not great.

I'll charge the battery tomorrow and will try again.

I have the retest on Friday so need to make sure it works by then :)

Reply to
marpate1