Help please on locking wheel nuts.

I had a puncture two days ago and when I had it repaired discovered I could not find the key for my locking wheel nuts.

I think they are Carflow Trilock (with 3 holes) but it seems the company no longer trades.

I do have the key code - I just need to find someone who can supply me with a replacement key.

Failing that how can I get these nuts off and replace them with new ones?

Thanks

Reply to
Les Desser

No idea - tried searching the net for the manufacturers details?

You can buy a special set of sockets designed exactly for this task, priced around £20 normally.

Got mine at a local motor factors when I had the same problem with my last

216 GTi when I first bought it.

Jobs a good un.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Apparently halfords were doing a locking wheel nut remover but I'm unsure as to whether they've withdrawn it due to complaints from people saying there making the job of nicking wheels easier!!!!

Out of interest how many people still get wheels nicked?!? It must take at least 30 mins for a thief to jack a car up nick the wheels and put it back down on bricks! by which hopefully someone would have noticed!

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
Benje

Well... I did think about this before I posted about the sockets... but to be fair, you need to smack them on quite hard with a hammer in order to start them off, and in the case of the type of nuts the OP has, you need to do it twice per nut - the first go gets the outer sleeve off, the second gets the actual nut off.

So if you've got a nice set of wheels on a car that's properly belled up, the alarm should go off due to all the movement, vibration etc.

If you've spent all your cash on a nice set of wheels but can't afford to bell the car up as well, maybe you need to rethink your priorities... although I've been more than guilty of this myself over the years, especially with regards to ICE, and I learnt the hard way.

Most people don't give a shit these days though, do they... don't want to know, and even if they do, they don't want to get involved.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

If they are liquidated forget it, unless they patterned around a similar supplier.

There is a way which would mean perm removing the locking nuts but I wont just say as low lifes might read this to utilise it illegally, although if so I am sure they already might know having talked about it with their low life mates etc etc even though they may not even own a car.

If you take to most garages they may be able to remove at your request, if they can replace the bolts with either their own kit or standard bolts that is. Most breakdown recoveries are probably equally capable with such problems, given you are the owner/driver.

Tone

Reply to
Tony

In message , Les Desser writes

I had a problem with Trilocks last year. They really are naff wheel nuts.

I contacted Trilock direct and they said that the could send me a replacement but I had to send a cheque because they couldn't handle credit cards.

I needed the key badly at the time so they put me on to their distributor who could process CC orders over the phone. I threw all the paperwork away (cos I ditched the Trilocks once I got them off) but luckily the transaction is on an old bank statement. The distributor is :-

Auto Inparts Ltd

7 Old Chapel Mews, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire LU7 4RN Tel: 01525 382713
Reply to
Paul Giverin

I notice that EuroCarParts 2004/05 catalogue has a set of these three pin key /three hole bolt locks for sale. Doesn't have a makers name on 'em, but might be worth going in and asking.

Vauxhall used to do the same sort many years ago, too.

Reply to
Scott M

In article , JackH Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:17:14 writes

Yes - that is where I discovered they were no longer in this world. Seems like an Italian company may have taken over but I have not had a reply to my email.

How long ago?

I have just spoken to Mitsubishe - the car maker - and they can take it off - about an hours work - by "chiselling it off" - £70+VAT

Reply to
Les Desser

In message , Les Desser writes

Sod that, when my Calibra got nicked and the scrote bent a wheel flying over a roundabout, Kwik Fit got mine off in 10 minutes and did it for free. Well, OK, they thought they might get some business out of it as they thought it was a puncture, then they saw the massive dent in the back of the wheel... Still didn't charge me though :-)

Reply to
mike. buckley

Only a few months ago.

And I've just put 17s on my current GTi, and had to get new lockers for that... and they're three pin ones as well. I'll dig out the details of the company that made them and email them to you later on in case they're using the same patterns etc.

And almost certainly not doing your alloys any favour either, as the school leaver being paid the bare minimum wage by them to do this won't really have much interest in doing a careful job!

You could do it that way yourself, and have the £70+ Vat left over to pay for refurbing the wheels! ;-)

Oh, and this might help...

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

In article , Scott M Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:30:34 writes

Thanks - will follow that up too on Monday.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , Paul Giverin Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:50:09 writes

Wonderful! Just tried the number and it rings so they are still there.

Will follow it up first thing Monday!

Thanks again.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , JackH Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:18:34 writes

Thanks - that would be great.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , mike. buckley Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:47:13 writes

I will try them if I can't get a key. Thanks.

Reply to
Les Desser

Assuming that these are the round type with 3 holes. Take an old socket that's slightly smaller than the head of nut and hammer on (Not very elegant but it works. I used old BS socket.)

Good Luck

Reply to
Owen McKeown

In article , Owen McKeown Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:32:32 writes

Thanks - I have some leads from other post but if they fail then I might try that.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , Les Desser Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:17:46 writes

Just the ticket!

Called them this morning and I should have it within the next 48 hours.

£10 delivered or £15 for two. I ordered two :)

Many thanks again Paul. And thanks also to all the others for their suggestions. Fortunately I did not have to resort to more drastic measures!

Reply to
Les Desser