Mondeo Advice

Hi Peeps

I am thinking about buying a Mondeo 5 door hatchback, nothing too new about a P or R plate.

What common faults do Mondeos of this age suffer from that i should i be looking out for?

TIA

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

In message , Matthew Foster writes

I think the Mk2's were pretty much sorted. I think the front wishbone (bushes) which used to fail early on the Mk1's were modified. Obviously a service history would be nice, especially for when the cambelt is due.

have quite a good forum which you may find useful.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Clutches are reputedly an engine or subframe out job and hence cost a lot. At least, if you have the clutch done by someone else.

Reply to
Doki

The suspension bushes wear, front and back - the rears are a pig to do.

Check the heater controls are functioning ok - a dash out job if they aren't.

Petrol ones might suffer with sticky valves unless they've been regularly serviced with the 'streak of piss' oil that Ford specify.

Diesel ones have a bit of a reputation for going bang, but I've not had any trouble with the two I've had, the last one was on 179k when I sold it on and it still looked good.

Clutch replacement isn't nearly as big a problem as some might have you believe, so long as the right tools are used when it's being changed - if they aren't, prepare for lots of problems with the tracking etc.

Whilst a high miler won't show it's miles like some other cars by way of stone chips, it'll have a saggy drivers seat, so bear this in mind, given these are notorious in a clocking sense, especially if no service history is on offer.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Cheers guys, ill keep these points in mind.

Regards

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Foster

Where's that f****it who bought it got to?

Reply to
SteveH

The f****it who bought the last one... well he's a mate of mine, so I assume you're discussing the f****it who bought the first one I had, in which case I have no idea, nor do I have any compulsion to find out

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I seem to remember pissing about with the fueling screw followed by noises, then posts here. Then mocking here. Then disappearance.

Reply to
Doki

...to the nearest Citroen dealer one assumes, where said person acquired a Xsara.

I therefore deduce that it might be an idea to dig up the service manager of said dealers patio, to check for the body... just to be sure, you understand.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH