Help woth noisy stereo

Hi everyone,

I have recently had a CD player/radio fitted to my 1988 Porsche 924s. When the car is stationary and engine off the radio and CD are both crystal clear. When the engine is running however there is annoying crackle with the radio (all FM frequencies) but the CD is still crystal clear. The more I rev the engine the more the crackle builds up. When driving sometimes the crackle will suddenly go away but then return and sometimes is momentarily gets worse. There is no crackle at all when playing a CD regardless of engine speed.

I have heard conflicting advice from my local Halfords - one guy aid I need new plug leads and another said I needed to attach a gizmo to my alternator - which would be a real pain as it is buried away and hard to get to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.......

Cheers Mark

Reply to
Dr Mark Cresswell

From your description, the first thing I would try is to check the aerial cable for damage, joins etc. and try rerouting the aerial lead, you might even need a new aerial.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Failing that, doesn't he need a suppressor choke on the ignition circuit? Usually sold at Halfrauds, or similar for an outrageous few quid (no, they're really worth pennies) but with instructions for fitting that your granny could follow.

Reply to
DocDelete

Do you have the in-glass windshield 'active' antenna system? If so, it's possible that when the CD player/radio was fitted, the installer forgot to reconnect power to the pre-amplifier. If the pre-amp is unpowered FM reception will be poor and AM reception non-existant.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Hi Ian,

No. The aerial is front wing-mounted. I guess that is why God invented bank holidays - so I will be checking out aerial lead, route through car body, supressor and as a last resort replace plug leads.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Cheers Mark

Reply to
Dr Mark Cresswell

Mark, if you find the antenna cable to be OK, and resort to supressors as per the Halfords advice, here is how to select the right type. If you interference is a medium to high pitched whine, then the alternator is the source. If the interference is a clicking at tick over rising to a few hundred hertz (clicks per second) then fit ignition suppressors or suppressed plug leads.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Don't you get spark plugs with an "S" in their reference number to denote that they are suppressed? mebbe a set of them will do the trick

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray