HGV's

Anyone know what the "code" refers to on a HGV? They're usually on the cab. IE Leyland DAF 225/85.

I doubt it's engine capacity (unless thats in cu. in's) might it be load capacity?

Thanks

Reply to
Krycek

A few...

DAF 225 85.

225 is the engine rating in BHP 85 is the cab type.

Scania:

113 H 420.

Easiest worked out from right to left:

420 is engine rating.

H is chassis rating,(L)ight, (M)edium, (H)eavy - most common are M.

Next number is the series - in this case an old 3 series.

Next number(s) is engine capacity in litres - usually a 9 or 11.

Volvo:

FM12 420

FM is the series. FM being medium sized, FH being higher cabbed ones.

12 is the cab spec - 10 usually being single bunk low head height, 12 being high head height and optional double buunk.

420 is the engine rating in BHP.

Reply to
Conor

Top, thanks!

Reply to
Krycek

As I understood it, the Volvo numbering convention doesn't have anything to do with the cab spec - the number refers to the engine's (approximate) capacity in litres.

e.g. FM12 has a ~12 litre engine FH16 has a ~16 litre engine FL7 has a ~7 litre engine

Reply to
a.tucker

It's going to be a loooong week.

THE LETTERS ARE THE CAB SPEC. FL is the old "wendy house" low cab. FH is the high cab. FM is a FH cab with a higher floor giving it a lower height making it the medium height cab in the range.

Depending on it still being there, the model plate is on the B post on the drivers side.

Reply to
Conor

That's what I meant - I was referring to the actual numbers themselves within the model when I referred to engine size. i.e. 7, 10, 12 etc. I regularly drive a FL10 and a FH16 myself (mind you, bit of a difference between them!)

Reply to
a.tucker

agreed about the number engine size, haven't a clue about the rest

Reply to
jOn

Why do you have to ruin what was, 2 or 3 posts ago, originally a very helpful response to a perfectly valid question with this sort of agressive wanky bollocks?

Yes, you explained the lettering very well, but you haven't said anything about the numbering. A simple "I don't know" would suffice, if you don't know.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Why the f*ck do you have to stick your nose in? Fuck off back to uk.r.d.

If you'd bothered to read my original reply you'd have noticed the words:

"12 is the cab spec - 10 usually being single bunk low head height, 12 being high head height and optional double bunk."

Knob.

Reply to
Conor