Prius now slightly cheaper to run in UK

Today's Budget speech by the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer held some mildly good news for Prius owners in Britain. Its 104gm/Km CO2 production rate has earned it a reduction in annual Road Tax (tax charge on vehicles used on public roads) from GBP75/year to GBP40/year.

Naturally, this won't make a huge difference; but it's a step in the right direction. All CO2 figures are the "official" ones.

Cars producing 100gm/Km or less now fall into a new No-Tax band, whereas the worst gas guzzlers (I have no CO2 figures) get a new category costing GBP210/year.

FWIW, figures are available on the

site, where I searched for "budget" then clicked on the first item listed.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

The prius is kind of funny looking...but the more I see it, the style kind of growns on you. It looks cool inside

Reply to
slatt333

Slightly incorrect. GBP30/year. The DVLA class the Prius as an alternative fuel vehicle and not a petrol fuel vehicle in band B.

I've checked this up >Today's Budget speech by the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer held

Reply to
Bloke at the pennine puddle

Well, I'm certainly not going to fight anyone over this news. Glad to hear it. Mind, I doubt this curious classification will last, unless Toyota redesign the engine to run on, oh, peanut oil or perfume. As soon as *.gov.uk realise it's just another way to burn ordinary petrol... Thanks for the word.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson