HIF44 SU wanted

Anybody got an old one kicking about?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Anybody got an old one kicking about?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

metro had those, there must be loads still in breakers yards, I have probably got a few lurking about if you are in Essex at some time.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

If you could have a look, I'd bung you some dosh for one. There never were many of the larger sized ones here, from what I can see.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I will have a hunt and let you know.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Cheers. The Maestros and Montegos all used the HIF44 - the smaller Metros used HIF38.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've got a load of old Montego parts buried deep in the garden shed. I'll also have a look if the old carb is still lying around and let you know if it is later today.

And if anyone is still managing to run an old Montego, as previously stated, I've got some used spares for it, and if you're interested, a small donation will secure them - collect only though - as you'll need to see them to make sure that they are the right ones for your car.

I had two Montego's, one on a B plate and one on an F (1989) plate [1], and there were differences between them on some parts.

[1] The F plate was a write off after an accident, and I did a deal with the insurance company and kept the car and stripped it for spares to keep the B plate on the road for a while.

BTW, I'm not a dealer, I just want to get rid of the stuff now as I could do with the space.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Grimly,

Dived into the depths of the shed and found a HIF44 - If you're interested to have a look at the state of it, I have posted photo's of it on tinypic.com and the links are below.

PIC 1 ----

--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 1 PIC 2 ----
--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 2 PIC 3 ----
--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 3 PIC 4 ----
--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 4

PIC 1 ----

--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 1

PIC 2 ----

--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 2

PIC 3 ----

--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 3

PIC 4 ----

--- TAG -- HIF 44 - Pic 4

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Sorry about the double posting of the links, I'm not sure what happened there. :-(

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Dunno - I've got a few old SUs down the gaslit end of my garage, but can't see any serial numbers. What's it from?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

There the one's with the concentric bowl underneath. 72-75 MG type.

Reply to
Rob

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Geoff Mackenzie" saying something like:

Commonly fitted to Montegos and larger-engined Maestros. Also MG Metro Turbo, which is actually the one I'm hoping to find, but an ordinary one can be modded.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cash" saying something like:

Awkwardly, that version's got the stepper motor on it - unreliable and impossible to replace/repair.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Think all Montegos had. Some of the Rover V-8s had plain HIF carbs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, nothing that recent.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Geoff Mackenzie" saying something like:

Thanks for looking anyway. I'm not keen on the older ones (HS, HD, etc) with the outboard float chamber as they add extra complication and leakage sources, especially being blown through.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon saying something like:

Been thinking more about this one - I might as well have it for spares, since the rest of the body is the same as a normal one. Please drop me a line - email addy works.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Now I recall, the one I stuck on my GS came off a Maestro, many years ago.

Saw a brace of them on ebay, with manifold. Bugger wouldn't post outside the UK and the cost of postage would have taken it above the cheap level, never mind what final price was.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly,

Bear with me for a while, I have just changed my ISP and sod's law has decided to play a few tricks with the new ISP, telephone company AND my computer, and I am unable to sort out my e-mail settings to either send or receive at the moment - and my hair is thinning rather rapidly, my wife has fitted ear-plugs to filter out the bad language and the bloody computer is just about to take a flying lesson through the window. ROTFL

Sorry for not contacting you sooner and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cash" saying something like:

No worries, its ultimate destination isn't even built yet. I found there's a conversion kit for junking the stepper motor and replacing it with a manual choke assembly, so it's looking better.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon