Cleaning windscrteen

I've seen it mentioned in this group in the past that vinegar is good for cleaning a smeary windscreen but what sort of vinegar? Same stuff as you put on your fish and chips, ie, malt vinegar, or something more exotic? And do you dilute it in water (how much?) or use it straight?

And, because I've never seen it recommended I'm assuming that Cif (Jif), although it works wonders at cleaning my bath/basin with its little sort of "grittyness" is definately considered "a bad thing" for windscreens? I want to get it clean before putting on the new wiper blades I've got.

TIA

Reply to
John

you can't easily beat a hot wash with water with just a drop of detergent, then polish to dry with newspaper, till you try it you won't believe it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Right Mrcheerful, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Reply to
John

I've been a train driver for over 23 years and on the old locos (not seen so much now) they had poor washers and wipers (being 1950/60s vintage) and suffered from exhaust, oil and brake dust deposits on the windows, making them very smeary.

One wet sheet of newspaper polished dry by another sheet left very clean windows.

Reply to
sweller

Well, I never would have thought it but, thanks to Mrcheerful and yourself, I tried it and it's bloody brilliant!! Cheers guys :o)

Reply to
John

...and a bit of kitchen towel with vinegar on it wiped along the wiper blade gets rid of the grease on the wiper itself.

Reply to
sweller

...meant to add, normal fish and chip vinegar.

Reply to
sweller

I think I've found a use for the Daily Mail, if I find a discarded copy.

Reply to
Gordon H

it is strange, but it can be difficult to persuade someone that it works so well, they have to try it to believe it. The more times you clean like that the better the effect seems to get.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Whilst agreeing that it does work, it is counter intuitive. The newspaper is covered in newsprint, which itself is quite greasy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm disappointed. I went out to the garage this morning determined to try this, but my windscreen was spotless.

I wonder if it would work on the haze* inside the screen, without leaving the traces other methods leave behind? It looks clean in dull weather, but sunshine or headlights show it up.

*I'm a non-smoker, but it still happens.
Reply to
Gordon H

works great on the inside too, (in the house as well, especially on mirrors) but I would avoid hitting the roof lining unless it is washable, just in case of ink transfer.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yup, household ammonia's quite good as well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I suspect that the wet pass gets rid of the general dirt, then the dry pass leaves you with a very thin but well-bonded layer of "ink" which acts as a water repellent and lubricant. Without boring you with the maths, thin films can be more durable than thicker ones, provided they are well adhered.

Reply to
newshound