high mileage cars

I are thinking of getting a run around car that must be reliabel and there are many out there with 100+k mileages.

I know that engines are almost bullit proof nowadays but surely there could be extra costs in running a high mileage car as things like the suspenshon may be worn out? Shud I worry or not?

Reply to
Alf

It depends on what you buy & whether or not you think the saving on capital will outweigh the increased maintenance. BUt in general I reckon the high mileage ex motorway cars are the best buy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not really IME. As long as it drives well and doesn't rattle/shake and has a decent MOT, anythign that's worn out should have been replaced already. My Puma has 106k on it now and drives very well indeed. I've had cars with over 200k on them drive extremely well, and cars with 50k on them feel like they are totally F..ked (though one of them was a Punto!)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

My 850 is on 128,000 and it's fine, bugger all up with it.

Reply to
Pete M

Ta peeps; am looking at Focus; SEAT Leon type of size... but I don't want to pay too much for ins so not getting a 2 liter powermachine..

Reply to
Alf
+AD4-I are thinking of getting a run around car that must be reliabel and there +AD4-are many out there with 100 mileages. +AD4- +AD4- I know that engines are almost bullit proof nowadays but surely there +AD4- could be extra costs in running a high mileage car as things like the +AD4- suspenshon may be worn out? Shud I worry or not?

The last few cars I've owned have had over 120k on 'em, none have failed in any way. As long as they're looked after they're fine, the suspension bushes can be pretty worn etc. but just have a good look around they're service items. I'd prefer a high milage, motorway cruiser rather than a low milage car owned by someone who only drove it every now and again around town...

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

My current Capri is on 174,500 and fine. Nowt wrong with it other than shagged front wings but mechanically, its spot on.

Reply to
Conor

In my experience, the major thing to take wear is the interior. Some cars seem to be really hammered by the miles or get clocked a lot - any Fiesta with many miles on it looks like it's been driven to the moon and back by two sumo wrestlers, with the seats completely worn out. On the other hand, some makes tend to wear well, or get treated better / get driven by lighter people...

Reply to
Doki

In my experience, the major thing to take wear is the interior. Some cars seem to be really hammered by the miles or get clocked a lot - any Fiesta with many miles on it looks like it's been driven to the moon and back by two sumo wrestlers, with the seats completely worn out. On the other hand, some makes tend to wear well, or get treated better / get driven by lighter people...

Reply to
Doki

Stik with what you no - stae under the brudge.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

It does rather depend on the previous owners, I may have once met a Ford Escort previously owned by a family weighing over 100stone, it was rather knackered by 80K

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As others have said, it depends on the car in question and how well it's been looked after. To a point it also depends on how long you plan on keeping it and how many miles you'll cover. And of course... what you want.

However, a ten year old Focus with 100K is going to be a different animal to a three year old 120K Focus. If budget isn't an issue I'd take the three year old. Most of those 120,000 miles will be on a motorway. The older machine could have covered those miles any way.

Reply to
DervMan

The important thing is to listen to the engine with bonnet open, and drive the car to feel that the engine performs smoothly. Although in the olden days, there were stories about putting bananas in the gearbox for a quick sale...

Reply to
johannes