how does a hydrometer work ?

tom wrote in news:bv48d8$b7e$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

If I can remember from my school days, it measures specific gravity, i.e. the density of the acid in the battery, which gives an indication of it's "strength". So presumably sulphuric acid has a different specific gravity to water. Now, did I get that right?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

When you charge the battery the chemicals dissolved in it change & change the density of the electrolyte in the battery.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

hydrometer n. instrument measuring specific gravity and density of liquids. hydrometric(al), a. hydrometry, n.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

that thing that tests the cells in yer battery. thanks, tom

Reply to
tom

And I think it's spelt hygrometer, but I don't know why.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It has some form of float which will settle at a different height depending on the Specific Gravity of the liquid it's floating in. This SG changes according to the state of charge of the battery. But these days electronic equipment can give the same end result rather less messily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

No, a hygrometer measures changes in humidity.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Cox

That measures humidity. A hydrometer measures specific gravity (or density, if you prefer).

Reply to
John Laird

A hydrometer measures the density of liquids, a hygrometer measures the amount of moisture in the air

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ahhhhhh !!!!!!!!! thanks for that !!!!!!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray