How long can I leave my parking lights on for?

Or sidelights or whatever else you want to call them.

Went to my girlfriends last night, which took a 1 hour drive to get there, so I assume the battery would be fully charged?

For some reason I forgot to switch my lights off and in my car when you turn the engine off the main headlights go out but the parking lights remain lit.

Now it was my previous understanding that these lights were meant to be left on for relatively long periods, as they are to be used for parking overnight on unlit roads. However I left the car for a total of 4 hours, when I returned the lights were still on and the alarm deactivated however nothing else worked, central locking, windows, and of course it wouldn't start (radio worked tho!). Thankfully I was on a slight incline so a quick push and I was on my way, but I'm wondering if the battery being drained after parking lights being on for 4 hours is normal?

I have a 2004 1.4L Petrol Fiesta.. if it makes any difference.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

No. If you think about it the load is going to be about 2 amps which should be sustainable for anything from 15 hours upwards depending on your battery capacity. I've left sidelights on all night before now. It wasn't the dim dip on the headlights was it?

Reply to
Malc

Sounds like the battery or the charger was weak. Or you drove there with all the elctrical loads on. Or left something else switched on.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nope...alternators only charge to ~80%.

Reply to
Conor

Okay to be pendantic then.. as charged as it possibly can be without getting out my battery charger and topping it up.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Old german cars (or at least german built) let you flick the lights for one-side only (using indicator stalk) for true 'parking lights' and less juice consumption..

Reply to
jb