Carlton Parking lights

Just curious - my Carlton (which I sold yesterday) has this "feature" which my mate assures me is supposed to happen, but I can't find anything about it in the handbook, and the bloke buying the car thought it was a sign of dodgy electrics - just wondering if any of the Carlton buffs on here know.

Basically, with the ignition off and lights turned off, the left sidelight and rear light go on if the left indicator is on, and likewise for the right. A mate of mine tells me this is in case you're parked on a dodgy bit of unlit road at night, so you can light up the side of the car that's nearest to the road. If it is then fair enough - just a shame I didn't know last night so I could have told him!

Peter

-- Coming soon: AstraVanMan's Carlton spares clearout!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That is correct. It is supposed to that.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Seconded - handy for these dark evenings.

Reply to
Sean

Yep that's normal

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As no doubt many people have posted, yes, it does do that, as do loads of other German cars. Can't remember if my Manta did it, but I'm sure nearly every post-Beetle VW I've had did, all the Audis, and yes, the Senator...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

"feature" which

anything about it

sign of dodgy

know.

left sidelight

for the

on a dodgy bit

car that's

I didn't know

AFAIR A few other makes in the 80's had the same feature. Audi one that comes to mind. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

IIRC, it's a requirement in Germany, so all German made cars have the provision for it, although not all of them have it still functioning when imported to the UK. My E39 has it, the previous E34 not.

The first UK car I remember with this was the Ford Zephyr MK IV. And with the parking lights selected it defeated the starter. The AA got rather fed up with it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My MkIII Cortina had it as well.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thirded - mates new Corsa does it as well...

Reply to
Dan405

Twas Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:34:53 -0000 when "Dan405" put finger to keyboard producing:

Fourth-ed - had a golf that had that.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

What ever happened to those parking lights with red & white lenses, which could be temporarily fitted onto a side window and plugged into the ciggy lighter? Presumably they're now illegal.

Terry D,

Reply to
Terry D

Fifth-ed, my Audi does it as well! I was wondering the other day why the "you've left your lights on" warning buzzer was activated when the engine was off, but I'd left the indicator on.

I couldn't find any mention of it in the Carlton handbook though, funnily enough. Looked up parking lights, and all it told me about was the sidelights.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sixth-ed, my BMW does it too. Interestingly though rather than just use the normal indicator switch positions, there's a detent position beyond the normal travel of the stalk for the parking lights. And, IIRC, there's a mechanism interlock to only allow it when the igntion key's at

  1. Clever really; stops them coming on just because you've forgotten to cancel the indicators before you get out.
Reply to
Scott M

Don't see why they would be. I think you can still buy them from people that sell lights and mirrors for old cars in Practical Classics...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Last time I was at a friends house in Sawtry, a village not far from Peterborough, there was a car parked at the side of a 40mph road with one of these. Red to the back, white to the front.

I queried this, and my friend said that it was illegal to park at night, on a road >30mph, without showing your lights.

The police were very hot for that in the area, and all the cars had them!

This was a couple of years ago though.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I think it still is, if the road is unlit.

It used to be common when I was a kid, but then the street lights didn't stay on all night.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman made the world a better place for us by saying..

Aye, those black out regulations.. bloody Germans...

Reply to
Pete M

I'm old, but not that old. ;-)

Reply to