Howmanyleft?

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been mentioned here before but I stumbled across it yesterday and thought it was pretty interesting.

I've no idea how accurate it is and I've no connection with the site etc.

If this one is true:

Her old Belmont looks like it's a pretty rare beast. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've not seen it before, thanks for the pointer. Assuming it's accurate, it's an interesting site. :-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

You are welcome.

Well, I did note after that it says 'Data comes directly from the Department for Transport, and is regularly updated.' so FWTW etc?

They explain:

"How accurate is the data?

As with all large government databases, there are errors in this dataset (especially since quite a lot of the data for older vehicles is based on paper records that were originally maintained by local authorities).

The most common error that crops up is vehicles that don't have exactly the correct model variant recorded on their V5 registration document. For example, a special edition Peugeot 205 Gentry might only have Peugeot 205 recorded on its V5. This can lead to some model variants appearing to be rarer than they actually are.

The key to understanding whether or not the data is accurate for your particular model is to check the model name on its V5 registration document. If it's not what you expect it to be, then it's likely that the DVLA statistics for that model aren't very accurate!

This happens more often with older vehicles, especially for those that would have originally been registered in the 1970s and earlier."

I think so. ;-)

Because it can be a bit vague if you search for say 'Escort 1300 L' but then once you have found what you think is right you can click the Years tab and see when they were being registered:

So that would be whatever was available new from 1970 onwards etc?

Interesting to see the Meriva is surviving fairly well since it's launch in 2003?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

56 and falling !

Graham2

That's what I had. Awesome sounding engine and great chassis, housed in the most boring body known to man.

Reply to
SteveH

I think it's interesting to look at these graphs to see things like that.

Most cars (and logically) seem to fall off fairly linearly with time whereas the Meriva for example (so far anyway):

.. has held pretty constant over about 8 years.

It's also interesting to compare the usage patterns between cars and bikes in the winter (especially since they introduced the SORN).

(His)
(Hers)
(Ours) Daughter has one of these (2001) and again they seem to last ok ..

Stepdaughter has one of these but it failed the MOT today on too many points to bother with (a bit like mine). Looks like it's fairly on trend though: ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are just on the verge of becoming old enough for losses to accelerate. But they don't show much loss from major accident attrition which is what gets less mundane cars when newer. You have to do a proper job to write off a £4K+ car. It's easy to kill a £1-2K car just a OEM bumper, wing, arch liner, headlamp, paint and some decals, it's cat D. £2-4K it's probably still worth putting on a jig and pulling it straight.

The losses weren't too bad up to 8 years old. Then they change hands for the 3rd time and the price drops to a point were it starts to be easy to write them off and they attract owners that will write them off. Unlike the Vauxhall there will always be some people that are willing to spend whatever it takes on one of them. The Mervia will just collect supermarket trolley dings until it's too bad to be seen dead in and worth more as scrap than it is as a vehicle.

When you look at something 20 years old the same pattern appears. Under 5% of stock/year until 2000 (worth about £3K then), then the rate starts going up, by 15 years old (£1K?) it was running at 27% of remaining stock / year. Then the rate starts to tail off again - down to 18% of remaining stock / year. Price is now going up but not enough to stop insurance write offs and most are dying due to rot. Can't easily get another so owners are more willing to weld it up than just stick the £1000 worth of bits on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

Same age as 200SX exec, about 4x more to start with but there's only one person idiot enough to keep one these on the road. Do you think he has all 4? I suspect most went with a whimper and doubt many went with smoking squealing tyres - unless they were used as chaff for banger racing. For several years over 50% were being scrapped each year and it peaked at 60%
For all Montego the loss rate has suddenly dropped from 30% to

22%/year. If it hadn't been for HowManyLeft it wouldn't have been long before they were all gone. They got cheaper quicker so were easier to write off and started losing more than 10%/year sooner. But now people know there is only 441 of them left out of 1/3 million they think they are rare and worth hanging on to.

BMW Z3/4 are seasonal too.

Mazda MX5
Cappuccino
Fiat X1/9
Triumph Spitfire
MG B GT

306 rag top
Can you see the common trend?

If you have the option to avoid it then you don't use a rag top in winter.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I can indeed. ;-)

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I had the option not to use my (plug in) electric rag top car in the winter but still did. I even used it to jump start my mates V8 Rover. 18V over some long and thinish jump leads had it spinning pretty quickly. ;-)

Reply to
T i m