If Focus = Transit Connect ...

By that would you mean in between section on industrial air ducting and the like? Sort of a large-gap gasket material and used under covers and hatches?

You are very kind (and I might take you up on it) but what I think I need does have to be pretty 'weak' and I have something similar to what you describe from a truck cab - to chassis type role?

Ok.

A test. If you were to stand something fairly light on it, like say a

14mm / 1/2" sq dr socket, does the socket sink into it at all? I think to match what I need (at least to replace like with like), the socket would compress the section it covered nearly flat?

I think what I saw behind the glove compartment on the Connect earlier was the remote air intake / direction control (it looks like it would be directly under the pollen filter).

Ok. They always were good at such stuff (as I know from their motorcycles). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I dunno. My BMW has electronic fan speed control. It's on its fourth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Power dissipation and heating of the fan speed unit is highest at lowest fan speed. This is also when the air flow to remove that heat is at is lowest. I suggest you desist from running the fan on lowest speed.

10 bucks of electronics, sells for 100 bucks (pattern about 1/2 that), sealed and potted so you can't fix it at component level.

Nice little after sales cash cow?

When stuff like this fails on a regular basis the pattern part makers move in. Had a BX ignition pack fail, the dealer said "they do that sir", took out the coil as well (or the coil took out the electronics). Citroen main dealer didn't bother to give me new prices but offered me either 2nd hand or pattern parts.

Reply to
Peter Hill

True. But I don't want to hear noise from a fan when not needed. It is a climate control system which works very well on auto. Which keeps fan noise to a minimum.

Yup.

Not sure about that. Had one under warranty.

The longest lasting one I've had is a pattern part which looks cheap and nasty compared to the Hella unit. The Hella unit has a nice cast heatsink. The pattern one made out of lengths of rod.

The snag is like many modern cars, the control unit is built in to the heater body, so as small as possible. If it had been an external box, I'd have had a go at fixing it or making a new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)