Polo coilpack lt connector release?

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a lad remotely who is trying to pin-down a misfire on his Polo by swapping the coilpacks around (as suggested here) but he (still) can't seem to get the connector undone?

He is conscious of not breaking anything (he's more at home with the insides of tablets, phones and re-flowing SM devices) so may not be pushing some clip hard enough?

Could someone just confirm just what should be moved where or levered how to release these connectors please?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It looks to me that you might push that clip to the left into it's recess and then pull (wiggle) the plug out of it's connector at the same time?

Reply to
T i m

How will swapping coil packs help? He will still have one firing/not firing when it shouldn't.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

OBD - engine fault codes ... now, how does he get the clip off please? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeahbut isn't that for getting the coilpack(s) out (which he has already done), rather than disconnecting the low tension (as we might call them) connector (which he can't do for some reason)?

It's just the two wire plug that connects the coilpack to the rest of the car as shown in the picture (that shows the coilpack removed from the head) that he seems unable to disconnect. It's probably something that is (typically) so easy for someone familiar with such things you were thrown re what was required? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

spray it liberally with wd40, wait a few minutes or more, press the release latch (near the numbers) pull the plug away from the coil.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ok, so when you say 'press', do you mean in the 'squeeze direction MrC, as in if you had your thumb on the catch and you finger round the other side?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

yes, squeeze and as that goes down it lifts the inner bit over the peg that locks it on, sometimes the bit you press bends rather than lifts, especially if the connector has been pulled first, so push the connector on as far as possible before pressing the latch (couple with wd40) if all else fails use a pointy thing to lift the inner bit of the latch (through the hole to the left of the latch in your piccy)

Reply to
MrCheerful
[...]

It might be easier to unplug if you pull them up first like this:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

So, I ended up first doing it myself (3 seconds) and then showing him how to do it and it *was* all down to that latch (as I expected) ... and (as you mentioned), making sure there was no pre-tension on the latch making it to hang up (and I showed him how that worked as well).

However, I think it felt like the catch best moves sideways (away from the coilpack) but the 'trick' is to hold the connector on whilst pressing the catch to prevent the clip_releasing_action pre-loading the tang.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied ... that's one more thing he now understands and I'm sure will stand him in good stead when dealing with similar in the future.

Now he can wait to see if / when the EM light comes on again and check the code with OBD Doctor on his phone to see if it's the same cylinder.

Bets ... plug, coilpack, exhaust valve, other (the fault has gone way on it's own for ~300 miles).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had the same reported fault on a Focus, it ended up being ECU

Reply to
MrCheerful

If they are passive coils - where the driver is in the ECU - an intermittent fault is more likely to be the ECU or wiring. Passive coils tend to work or not.

If the misfire is constant - one cylinder never firing - it might well be a coil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks guys. I'll see how he gets on and go from there.

If / when the fault returns his next cheap step (I've explained about only changing one thing at a time) will be to change the plugs as he wants to do so anyway.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

In general terms I would agree with that, but if this fault is the same as the VW 'coilgate' scandal of a few years ago then it has all the symptoms of a coil fault.

It's been described as intermittent in a previous post I believe.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

OT I know, but I need to vent it somewhere: I bought a new set of plugs for a Citroen C3 the other day, when I went to remove the old ones I could not, they have introduced a new socket type and size for the bloody things, I had to go out and buy a new plug spanner for goodness sake! The plugs are double spline 14mm and the tool incorporates a magnet and is very slim. The plugs are too long for a conventional long socket. I could have welded something up, but still would have had trouble getting the plug out as they have put a very narrow opening just above the plug, so it could fall sideways below it, dear God, why???

Reply to
MrCheerful

Donkey's years ago I had a mk1 consul to drive around in the garden/orchard, one day it would not go, Dad pulled off the plug leads and wiped/dried the outside of the plugs, it then started first try.

Reply to
MrCheerful
[...]

You may not have totally wasted your money on the tool; those plugs are fitted to some Pugs, BMW 1 series, and Minis.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I knew it would fit other stuff at some point, which is why I bought one, rather than borrow or make one, but why introduce a new plug tool/size after all these years? It would have been trivial or nothing at all to be able to use the small hex plugs in that engine, the thread reach and diameter is the same as millions of other vehicles.

Reply to
MrCheerful

You are correct. ;-)

So far the intermittency has been potentially attributed to not only the coilpack or plug but also the fuel ... and has intermittently 'gone away' for about 300 miles so far.

It also only seems to appear (when it does) when the engine is under reasonable load and he hasn't mentioned if it's only when the engine is hot / cold or after a particular time period etc.

On the subject of plugs ... I'd suggested he get a torque wrench because of the same reason *he* wasn't able to release the coilpack connectors ... because he hasn't yet learned 'the feel' and you are generally better of managing things you can measure.

As long as he runs the plugs down to their seats by hand and then torques them down to the *correct* value (and I'm sure we have all seen that go wrong as well) then he can't (shouldn't be able to) cause himself any more grief and can't hold me responsible either (not that he would but you never know what his parents might say if he is 'encouraged' to do stuff he's not already familiar etc).

But isn't that how we learn in many cases?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

I can only assume it is easier for robotic assembly methods; it only needs to shave a couple of seconds during assembly to be worthwhile.

Otherwise you can only view it cynically as a way to make money.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan