Ignition Coils

Not these new-fangled 'coil packs', but the good old-fashioned coils.

One of the coils on the 75 is sparking around the HT lead socket - which I believe is due to the insulation in the casing braking down(?).

Whatever it is, I'll need a new one.

I've stuck the Bosch part number into Google, I've also Googled and checked a few parts suppliers, but without much luck.

What could go wrong if I take an old coil to a motor factor and just buy anything off the shelf that's the right dimensions?

Reply to
SteveH

Nowt, just make sure it's the same voltage (12v or 9v depending on ballast) it'll be fine.

Reply to
Tony Bond

Cheers, I'll do just that this week.

I suppose I may as well replace them both at the same time.

It runs much better now I've got both distributors firing, too.

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry of no help to your post. I thought the "new" coil packs were supposed to be quite efficient ?

Reply to
Matt

We're talking about a proper olde-worlde coil pack here, for an olde-worlde car with distributors and everything.

Reply to
SteveH

hehe fair enough. I was getting carried away with modern shit again.

Reply to
Matt

You ARE joking? In all my years of motoring (since 1966) I have never had one of the old tin can coils go faulty on me in any vehicle.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

I don't joke about things as serious as his. I can't claim to have been driving since 1966 but since driving many cars with coil packs I have never had one go faulty. I guess we have have different experiences.

Reply to
Matt

I bet the coil is fine and just needs a damn good cleanup. You can submerse them in meths.

Reply to
Henry Elephant