Diagnostics software

Wise folks,

I have finally ended up owning a car with (in my view) too many computers in it: a 55 plate Golf plus diesel. (Actually it's my wife's, strictly speaking).

Since diagnostics now seems to require plugging in a lap top and reading fault codes, I am interested in knowing whether such things are available to the great unwashed or only to VW dealers. If 3rd party clones exist, where (on the web presumably) might I look?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

Might I suggest you search first for "EOBD", and "VAGCOM"?

Third party solutions exist; as always you get what you pay for. You may want to only do basic fault finding, or you may want more control...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Vagcom is a third party solution...

Reply to
moray

Er, yeah...?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You want VAG-COM. There are other options, but VAG-COM is the most complete.

There are UK resellers, such as
With some cars, you may be able to get away with the free version (download from Ross-Tech) and an ebay cheapy cable. The free version has limitations- see the website for details.

I think that your Golf Plus is a CAN-Only car, in which case you will need the full version of VAG-COM plus a CAN-capable cable.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

We use a VAG-COM

HEX-USB+CAN Interface with a Laptop Prices are currently $349.00 with the weak Dollar is £176

Reply to
A C

If you know somone handy with a soldering iron. Reads 580 fault codes.

Reply to
Periproct

Thanks all. VAG-COM looks like the way to go but I'll probably work through the 18 months of remaining warranty first (why do /their/ work for them?)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

VAG COM will always get a lot of plugs because its a fantastic bit of kit, just read the site tbh. It will pay for itself in no time.

Reply to
Matt

I've got a Peake code reader for my BMW and only needed it once in anger in 8 years. I suppose it just about paid for itself - cost 150 dollars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's useful when in warranty, as you can spot problems before you take it in for a service, and you can tell if they really have checked/cleared any DTCs.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Would one be able to get a reader for the Rover 45?

Reply to
skint

As everybody else says, Vag-Com. It's not that cheap but the first time you want it it pays for itself & the beer you can extract from our mates covers it anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What would you recommend for makes not covered by Vagcom (Vagcom does Skoda, Audi, VW and Seat)?

Reply to
Lonstex

Good question, sadly I don't know of anyone as obsessive as vag-com who doesn't charge several grand. Dervman seemed to have some quite nice obdII software for his palmtop.

Reply to
Duncan Wood