Is household silicone any use as an exhaust joint paste?

As captioned, just curious.

Reply to
Art Deco

No. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've heard of it used but it needs to be downstream of the cat, if fitted, as apparently the chemicals it releases can damage it.

Reply to
adder1969

Yes, clear is best.

Reply to
ThePunisher

We seem to have a difference of opinion. I'm sure I've seen my mechanic using something that looks suspiciously like silicone with a skeleton gun on a back box joint (no catalyst).

Reply to
Art Deco

Well the way I see it is, if it works on the exhaust manifold to head, it should work anywhere on the exhaust system.

Reply to
ThePunisher

The message from "ThePunisher" contains these words:

I've seen it on inlet manifolds...

Reply to
Guy King

Where is it's use recommended for exhaust manifolds?

Even those designed for high temperatures, can only take around 300 C. That might be above the temperature of an exhaust manifold at the joint with the head, but I doubt it will be high enough for joints further down the line, and that is for a high temperature silicone sealant. As well as that, the OP is asking about using a household silicone. which will not withstand anything near 300 C I certainly wouldn't recommend using any silicone sealant on exhaust systems, so AFAIC the answer is still no. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I would think it's more likely to have been an exhaust assembly paste/sealant. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

The last time I had an exhaust done it was exactly that. Just like the stuff you buy in a toothpaste-type tube, only in an industrial cartridge.

Reply to
Guy King

The stainless steel fabricator I got to fix my system used silicone throughout on the SD1 - including manifold to downpipes. I suspect it is a special for exhaust use, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AFAIK even the best automotive high temperature silicone sealants are only suitable for temperatures up to around 340C. I think downpipes easily exceed those sort of temperatures. My turbo Celica certainly does. :-) Regardless, I think I'd rather stick with more conventional sealants. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Rated up to 950 degrees F = 510C. Specifically mentions exhaust manifolds in the blurb.

Looks like it's high temperature silicon with some ceramic fibre and powder mixed in.

Reply to
PC Paul

I'm well aware there are sealants that can withstand very high temperatures. Your link simply points to one of them.

There is nothing whatsoever in the press release to suggest Pyro-Putty 950 is silicone based. It's clearly resin based. "combining a unique high temperature resin with various ceramic fibers and powders" Seems pretty clear to me. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

My apologies - Google pointed me to this one but took me to that one!

"Ceramic-Silicone Sealant suits applications to 1,100°F. "

This one doesn't mention exhausts though.

This related one does mention 'automotive use', and is definitely a Ceramic-Silicon mix.

I'd tend to go for classic exhaust paste anyway, as it happens.

I wonder if the use of silicon sealant at exhaust fitters is in any way related to it failing a few years down the line earlier than paste would?

Reply to
PC Paul

Any silicone content is probably very small in both those products I think they're just trading on the term 'silicone sealant' because it's one that is familiar to most potential buyers. You may do better, but I can't find any silicone based sealant that can work above 360C, and that's only intermittently. 340C was the maximum sustained temperature I found. Certainly way beyond the range of a silicone sealant for domestic use.

I've never seen silicone sealant used by exhaust fitters. All I've seen them using is cartridges of std exhaust assy paste. The sort of stuff you can buy in Halfords in a tube. Dries hard, like fireclay. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Silicon is the domestos of lambda sensors....... kills all known sensors stone dead...... hence why better gasket sealant is usually marked lambda safe.

Reply to
Spark

Quite possibly. I'll ask next time.

Reply to
Art Deco

That's right. About 260 deg. C.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Wrong. It depends what sort of silicone you buy.

XTS320RTV silicone sealant is good up to around 320 degrees C and beyond.

Shokka

Reply to
Shokka