MPG questions?

Hey Group,

Just wondered what MPG should I expect from a R reg Vaecta 1.6LS and also a R reg Astra 2.0 Diesel?

Just looking at buying on or the other.

I`ve got a escort 1.4i (L Reg) at the mo and getting around 26mpg round town, hope they will both be a little better?

Any Ideas Ta MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Avoid the 1.6 Vectra this engine is too underpowered for the car, you will get better mpg from the 1.8.

The Astra wil be a mk 3 on an R plate, and will have the 1.7 Vx low blow lump, or the 1.7 Isuzu TD in it. Both would give mid 30's to 40mpg around town I'd think.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Cheers Tim,

I was thinking about going for the Petrol as I could get a LPG conversion, but im not sure if it will be worth it for a car that old.

BTW:- what type of MPG do you get on LPG?

I was looking at a new car, but i cover around 30,000+ miles a year so don`t think its work it:(

Thanks again in advance and so far.

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

A bit less than petrol, as it makes less power, but LPG is currently a lot cheaper. There's no guarantee that LPG will stay cheaper than petrol though. Gordon Brown can do what he likes.

PS: Bottom posting is nice.

Reply to
Doki

Hello,

You will not recover the cost of LPG conversion and running. It's a waste of money. If you compare the price per litre of GAS and PETROL, then take into account that per litre the car will travel half the distance compared to petrol - you are going to end up saving a few pence per mile. That will take years to recover the costs. Performance will be worse and to travel the same distance on gas as you would on a tank of petrol you will need to fill up twice.

It's one massive con this LPG conversion stuff which is why it didn't catch on and garages have removed LPG pumps. If the car travelled the same distance per litre on gas or petrol then I could see the advantage.

Get a diesel and run it on old chip fat!

Reply to
Kyle2

What an utter load of crap.

If you travel 10 miles on a litre of petrol you will get 8 to 9 miles on a litre of gas.

So for petrol that's around 8.5pence per mile, on LPG it's 4.1 pernce per mile.

Performancewise, on my last Range Rover I couldn't feel the difference

- even pulling a twin axle stock trailer across the Welsh mountains.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Kyle2" saying something like:

Bugger off and come back when you know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon