jacks/stands/ramps

I need to get under the car to swap out a fog lamp.

I'm not too keen on lying under it with the jack that is in the boot so would like to get something that's a bit safer.

Looks like you can get axle stands from screwfix for a tenner or so.

Would these be the ideal product for occasional use?

Want something small and easy to store as they will only be used very occasionally.

Any recomendations?

Reply to
LiviLion

Yes I think the Screwfix stands are OK, I have a pair of the ratchet ones and they work fine I like the recent advice here after a pin type stand gave way, of placing a wheel under the side of the car as an additional safeguard as well as leaving the jack in place. Boots and braces it may be but better safe than sorry.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

The message from LiviLion contains these words:

If there's an Aldi near you then they have folding axle stands in stock at the moment. Under a tenner a pair and easily strong enough for a car.

Reply to
Guy King

I purchased a couple of similar stands from machine mart for a similar price, with none of the sending off business..

I'm just impatient!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yes. Take the other one out while you're at it.

Reply to
Another Dave

If you a are looking for something cheap, without too much lift, I've made small ramps with 4 or 5 lengths of 4x4 or 6 x6 scrap wood, - saw off an angle at one end of each piece, then nail them together side by side. To get a bit of extra lift, nail a bit of wood across the top. Offcuts from lengths of wood used for verandas is good, its often already treated. Mind you punch the nails in well, of course!

Reply to
R. Murphy

Am you american by any chance?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

eeeeerrrmmm

No, why?

Reply to
LiviLion

"swap out" is an Americanism AFAIK

Reply to
DocDelete

I see,

It's a phrase we use in IT quite a bit. Need to 'swap out' that failed disk.

LL

Reply to
LiviLion