Jacks, Axle stands & other guff.

Need to get under Tyson to really get at with the jetwash. My plan would be to get it on it's a side a tad using axle stands. What rating stands do I need ( I have some, but cant remember what rating etc) It weighs around 2.5 - 3 tons I guess, I realise that it isn't fully loaded at 2.5 tons unless all the weight is on one stand (Impossible) so the load is spread. Anyone got any hard & fast rules on jacking & stands?

I am going to use there hi-lift to get it up & then stick the sands under it. Only need around 6 more inches!

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"They called him Jimmy the gent"

Reply to
Nige

Couple or ramps?

I got a trolly jack under the radius arms on the Rangie.

Only need around 6 more

erm.....

Can't help you there but I've a load of spam emails that proffer a solution ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

get it on it's a side a

remember what rating etc) It

tons unless all the

& fast rules on jacking &

You can get some nice heavy duty stands. I always like to use them if i can, especially if im working under it. The ones I had are a lot bigger than normal car ones and the top nicely holds a landy chassis (being slightly wider than the landy chassis is). I always prefer to hold vehicles on a bit of chassis rather than axle.

Only need around 6 more

I use my trolley/bottle jack when i can. You can usually get a normal jack under the axles (go for directly below the spring), and this gets it high enough to stick an axle stand under a bit of chassis.

I'm assuming youve read the safety instruction bits about using a hi-lift. Be careful with em as its very easy to not quite get something balanced right and for the vehicle to move. Also, keep clear of the handle when youre jacking the car up/working round it. If the clip were to fail and the hilift drops then the arm can flap up and down lots and that could hurt if it hit you. I never really feel that confortable with them as it seems like theres a potential for a lot of damage if something goes wrong!.. I know where i am with a hydraulic jack (and when they fail its always been a gradual thing)

Reply to
Tom Woods

get it on it's a side a

remember what rating etc) It

tons unless all the

& fast rules on jacking &

Only need around 6 more

I've been using 2-ton axle stands under-im with a small trolley-jack to lift it, I reckon on weighing 2 tons empty.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP