Jeep Wrangler - Again

Well, made a start on the steering damper today - And couldn't get the bloody thing off :(

As the Haynes book of lies only shows it in a photo, and no explanation as to how to get the bloody thing off, how is it done?

The taper simply won't seperate, I've tried a 2 legged puller (which just falls off as it gets tight, as per), hitting it with a big hammer, and putting a bit of weight behind a spanner on the 19mm "nut" section of the bolt. Nothing.

Next up is heat - I am right in thinking getting the area bloody hot will help free of the mechanical lock of the taper, aren't I?

Unlike a ball joint, there's no "ball" to put any force against to split the sodding thing.

Reply to
Stuffed

Yup. And if there's room, put one heavy hammer one side of the taper housing and hit the other side. With the puller in place too, if possible. These things can be near impossible to remove.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Scissor action ball joint splitter?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

[..]

It's an idea, but I'm not sure there's any that will physically fit - Will look at them tomorrow when I take the Halford's bought POS back.

It's hard to believe a "rugged off road vehicle" can have such a daft bit of metal stuck to it - I can think of at least 2 ways of designing it better whilst rolling a ciggie, FFS!

Reply to
Stuffed

Have you tried hitting it with 2 hammers? the way i seperate stuborn taper joints is to get 2 hammers, the heavier the better, and bring them together on oposite sides of the joint at the same time.. as if you were smacking the hammer faces together.. but the joint gets in the middle,

This apparantly very slightly knocks the joint hole out of round for a split second, usually just enough for it to jump up the taper a bit, that's all it takes sometimes.

If you do heat it up.. make sure it is just an oil filled damper that's on there, and not a gas charged one, i know the gas dampers are usually aftermarket items, but you never know, it might have one from the factory, don't want to go heating that up too much.

Reply to
CampinGazz

As I was going to reply to Dave (I won;t post twice now though :) - The steering linkage is a bit tight on space under there, and I don't want to have to split another joint to get the whole rod off to split this joint. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get 2 hammers in there, although this afternoon the owner did decide to drop the rod off the steering box to give it a bit more play (I wasn't going to start taking someone else's steering apart when they needed to go out an hour later!). So it might at a push be do-able, but to dat I have never had any sucess with that method, even though I've seen it done by others :(

Well, it could be gas filled - All the oil has p*ssed out, hence why it needs to come off! :)

Tomorrow there's going to be liberal amounts of heat, hammering, and pulling apllied. If that lot doesn't shift it, I'll go to plan C - Drill out middle of tapered thingy, and hammer a punch up the middle of it. Less metal ought to mean less force applied on the seal, surely? If not, plan D - Drill, heat, hammer.

One way or another, that hateful sod is coming out. And then I can get back to playing with properly designed cars, when I try to get the brake disc off a 68 Triumph 1300 :)

Reply to
Stuffed