Jump start kils ECU

[...]

Yep, and extremely expensive when it happens.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, most 'flat' batteries are less than 50 % discharged anyway

Reply to
steve robinson

Ok - so just go out and buy a new battery on each occasion. That costs nothing, obviously. Or get it towed home. Or just buy a new car. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would require the engine management to inject fuel without it sparking. Most won't allow that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or follow the instructions that came with the car.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which in most cases involve nothing more than switching on some heavy loads on the car with the flat battery before disconnection; it's not exactly difficult.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The person I know of that killed the ECU on his T4 would have happily paid £100 for a new battery rather than the £600 it cost him to have it towed/diagnosed/repaired.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I certainly know of one that blew up in the works foreman's face when he was jumpstarting it - with a welder. Silly sod was lucky not to lose an eye or two.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

For a long time now I have been carrying a tow-rope instead of a set of jump leads, mainly for tow starting. Avoids all the hassle of not quite adequate connections or having to move cars into odd layouts because domestic jump leads are shorter and less grippy than proper garage ones. And, even if the car won't start you can still move it!

Reply to
newshound