lights

Quick question,what are the regulations on the colour of lights on cars?My son is persistently stopped for having the lights that fit over screen washer nozzles,they are only tiny but do phase through different colours including blue,I suspect the blue does make them illegal but would be interested to here particularly from any mot testers.

TIA

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Ivor mumbled:

You're only allowed to show amber or white to the front (but yellow is still allowed for headlights). Blue and green are reserved colours and are not allowed for any unauthorised vehicles.

Probably the best solution is for him to stop being a Novaboy and take 'em off. Why wave red rags at bulls?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk:

Thanks for the clarification,I agree but he's not a Novaboy he's a Corsaboy.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Reply to
Tony Morland

Depends whether you think a corsa is any better than a nova?

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

"Tony Morland" mumbled:

Tony, why does your newsreader insert the >>> marks before what you've written? It makes it really hard to see what you've said 'cos I'm expecting /your/ contribution no to have any...on account of how that's what they're for!

Reply to
Guy King

We sell these things (and LED bolts for number plates plus other good earners) and have heard of many people being pulled up about them so we asked a couple of traffic cops (regular customers) what the legalities of them actually are; both cops said that as far as they knew, there was not actually any law that makes them illegal to use. Make of that what you will (coppers can be wrong, too) but I recommend owners to fit them with a a switch avoid using them on the road if they don't want to get stopped a lot :)

Reply to
Chewie

Not sure about those lights but I really hope the under-car illumination thats all the rage now is illegal. Instead of the nice even glow under the cars in Fast and the Furious all I've seen on British roads are a Nova, Corsa and 306 with 4 frickin strip lights postioned around the car, so whilst you still get the underglow, you also get the look of 4 lightsabers attached to each side of the car as well. Looks s**te and is very off-putting. The green lit Nova I seen tonight was fairly dim, but the 306 was incredibly bright and very off-putting.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

"chris@ukaskew" mumbled:

Bit like the driver?

Reply to
Guy King

I asked a traffic cop the same question, he said that if they were wired through the ignition then they are illegal. If wired through a seperate switch then legal....!

Reply to
Kay

"Kay" mumbled:

I suspect that's not true /per se/, but because of its effects...when wired through a switch you can choose not to display an illegal light, but without one you're always doing it whenever you're on the Queen's Highway.

Reply to
Guy King

I think you might regret posting this

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Saw a guy with these in Beverley last week on a Corsa, quite a quick corsa too (he was turning towards Hull) - so I followed (as I live in hull) from a distance, soon as I put my foot down and the Volvo grille was big in his mirrors he turned the lights off and dropped down to 60...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

They'd still be illegal in use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman mumbled:

On the highway.

Reply to
Guy King

Or even just a normal street?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

silver S60. But looks similar from front and was gaining on him rapidly.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You drive a white V70 then...............

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

But not in a private car park, where novaboys tend to hang out when they're not gooning around the city streets.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

"DervBoy" wrote in news:bggoat$odth8$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-151362.news.uni-berlin.de: