Low speed engine sutter Touran 2.0 tdi

Over the last month or so my diesel 2.0 140ps tdi Touran seems to have developed a occasional shudder through the driveline when driving on very light throttle (which I appeciate is a nonsense with a diesel but you know what I mean).

It usually occurs around 1400 rpm almost on the point of being on full over-run and then the engine seems to misfire or something, causing a bit of drive train shunting. It's not something I've ever experienced on a diesel. It's more pronounced when the engine is cold but can occur anytime..

It's almost as if the fuel cut-off is cutting in prematurely. It's been hooked up to the main dealers computers but they're not reading any fault codes.

The car recently had a routine service where the wrong engine oill was used (15w/40) but this was changed for the correct stuff a few days later so I don't think this can be a factor.

FWIW its a DSG auto but I doubt this makes any difference.

Anyone come across anything similar?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Does the DSG equiped vaient use the DMF ? If so, could well be the problem...

Otherwise its likely to be a slightly sticky EGR valve.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Don't know if the 2.0 TDI was affected, but there's a known 'issue' with later (Euro IV) 130 TDI PD 1.9 engines with precisely the sort of problem described- I've driven a Fabia vRS (Euro IV) with the problem, but my Euro III car is not affected. There's a fix that involves a modified EGR valve gasket, so I think second Tim may be on the right lines.

I believe a twiddle with VAG-COM can disable the EGR...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sorry, you've lost me. DMF?

Cheers. Two votes for that now. I'll ask the garage to check that out.

Tim (the OP)

Reply to
Tim Downie

It can, and should be the first thing to be done!

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Doesn't that mess with emissions?

Tim (OP)

Reply to
Tim Downie

Yep. But who is to know? It will still pass the MOT test. TBH I reckon the way they got the 1.9PD to pass euro IV was by overcooking the EGR. Digesting ones own s**te, as it were.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

EGR reduces combustion temperature, and thus oxides of nitrogen. On the other hand there is less oxygen and more crappy combustion so you get more soot.

Too much EGR creates soot. The oxidation cat / soot trap can only absorb so much, some has to come out the tailpipe.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

Probably easiest. Make a new gasket from a bit of dog-food tin and install together with the existing gaskets.

Reply to
Guy King

Hmmm, perhaps easier said than done. I've had a poke about under the bonnet but I can't see any of the EGR trickery anywhere. I'm guessing it's hidden somewhere relatively inaccessible.

I think I'll ask my local garage if they can turn it off via VAGCOM.

Thanks anyway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie