Main beam warning light.

On my recently baught 1994 BMW 525i, the main beam warning light is very bright. Much brighter than it needs to be IMO.

At the top of the instrument housing, and almost in my line of vision, it can get quite distracting, especially on unlit country roads.

I'd like to make it dimmer. Either by fitting a lower wattage bulb, or by painting the existing one, if a lower wattage is not available.

I could simply unscrew/unclip anything fairly obvious until I could get at the bulb, but if anyone could tell me the easiest correct way, I'd appreciate it. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Does your 525 not have a dimmer for _all_ the lights on the dash? I often dim the lights fairly low when I'm driving on country roads to avoid glare on the inside of the windscreen. I can still see everything fine because it's so dark outside.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

SWMBOs Clio is leaking water from the sunroof, just above the drivers seat. It looks like the seal is worn.

All the Haynes book has to say is "don't mess with the sunroof mechanism".

Has anyone replaced the seal? Any tips or tricks?

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Easiest way would be to fit a series resistor. This would work with either a normal bulb or LED. And have the secondary benefit of lengthening its life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

light

of

wattage

not

Yes, for all the instrument lights, except this warning light. When it's lit, the dimmer doesn't alter it's brightness at all. What's more, it's nearer white than blue. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I may be wrong...... but it might be a white LED on this. Remove clocks and remove glass...... From an old dash you should be able to attach the piece over the top of the existing one thus dimming it.

JK

Reply to
JK

That figures - most warning lights can be put on the dimmer circuit as they are earthed through the switch they are connected to, but the HB warning can't as it take a live feed. Sounds like the dye or paint that makes the blue colour has faded or flaked off - I'd get some blue lighting gel and try to get that between the bulb and the panel.

Reply to
Bob Davis

No it isn't. It's to stop fuckwits from using High Beam any longer than they need to. An excellent innovation.

Reply to
Conor

snipped-for-privacy@clara.co.uk

light

longer than

A reply with no merit whatsoever. You shouldn't have bothered. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

warning

line

unlit

wattage is

light.

all.

circuit as they

HB warning

that makes the

lighting gel and try

That is not really what I wanted to know. :-) What I'd really like to know, is the easiest way to get at the bulb. Once I get at it, there are several ways I can dim the bulb.

I noticed today, that there's a couple of screws at the top of the instrument panel, under the binnacle, that appear to hold the panel in place. Looks like their removal might allow the whole panel to pivot rearwards, allowing it be lifted from locations at the bottom. Would that assumption be correct. ? Surely it couldn't be that easy. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Judging by the number of morons I meet on a daily basis who seem unaware of the fact that they are blinding all and sundry with their headlights on main beam permanently, I think Conors rely is well merited!

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

Could well be. I don't know about the bimmer, mines an old 316 and I haven't had to go there yet, but on my two older Volvos, the instrument panel is held in by only two screws. On my newest one, the instrument panel is held only by two clips, sort of like how a radio is held in.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Agreed, but these will be the same numpties driving with all fog lights on too. No amount of instrument panel warning lights are going to warn them their lights are on, hell they probably think the dash looks cooler with all the lights on if they do notice.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You need to undo the 2 screws going up under the top of the cluster and tilt the thing forward; according to the book anyway. Sadly you need to remove the steering wheel first, and on a 1994 you'll have an airbag. It says to put cloth over the steering column so you don't damage the cluster on it.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

I hardly think a blue light is going to stop them. Not on a dashboard, anyway.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

If it is like the one on the MAN lorries, it has a perfectly clear spot in the centre not even 0.5mm in diameter which pierces your eyes.

Reply to
Conor

Given that the only time you need main beam is on a totally dark road, that sounds like one of the stupidest ideas to me...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Sorry Dave, no one / needs / high beam, if they do I would suggest than they should not be driving...

Reply to
Jerry.

What a crass comment. Perhaps you should stick to driving in daylight, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well seeing that the army etc. train troops to drive without / any / lights on at all.....

Reply to
Jerry.