Major help needed please ;0)

I'm in need of some desperate help here, with regards to emmisions for SVA test, which is next tuesday at 8am.

The car is a subaru impreza wrx sti type R 1997.

Basically, it came over from Japan with no cats in the exhaust system at all, and the guy that has been fixing my cars for years (very trustworthy) nearly pissed himself laughing, when he saw how high my emmisions were.

So, I ordered standard exhaust with cat, but the emmisions didn't change one bit, so, I ordered a standard downpipe, also with a cat and a new lambada sensor (just in case other was faulty) but he told me today that it doesn't fit.

Basically, i've found out that I have a bigger turbo (always wondered how it did nearly 80mph in 2nd...lol) and the downpipe wont fit.

Soooooo, how am I gonna get the emmisions low enough for the SVA test??

Anyone got any tips or tricks?? One guy from certain Subaru Breakers said to Dissconnect one of the hoses on the intake manifold and it will run like a "bag of sh*t" for SVA and pass emmisions with flying colours ;0)

Is this true?

ANY help at all, or tip and tricks etc on how I can get the emmisions down will be VERY very much apprciated

cheers, Matt

Reply to
Arlene Moss

it's basically for the emissions right? so all you have to do is get someone to fiddle with the fuelling might be because it's used to running a lot higher octane over there in the land of the rising sun than we can get over here if that's the case, find someone who can sort you out with some octane booster and test the emissions after a good hard run

otherwise it's back to japland to find out who tuned the bugger and pick their brains about the fuelling side of things

don't spend money on swapping bits until you find the cause of the problem

Reply to
dojj

Custom downpipe . Any half decent custom exhaust place will be able to mate the pipe to the turbo for you.

Reply to
duncanwood

Ah! The joys ogf Grey Import ownership!

Reply to
Paul King

Assuming the engine is well serviced and in good order- i..e no broken rings, knackered turbo etc and pumping oil into the exhaust. Some emissions readings would be helpful, as any non cat fuel injected engine is quite capable of burning well enough to have less than 2% CO and less than 200ppm HC's in the exhaust max! I would think the car is chipped and the map its running is totally unsuitable- have it put right before bore wash and a knackered engine is the problem never mind the emisions! The fault may be a simple mechanical one like the fuel pressure is way too high, but you dont complain of abysmal mpg, lumpy running, or black smoke.

The size of the turbo doesnt affect how fast it will go in each gear- thats down to the rev limit and the gearing. I am surprised because jap imports are normally fitted with very short gearing as their max speed is electronically limited to 113mph (or similar)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..