mANUAL 62 Corsa 1.4 .50K miles

Took the family out for a break this morning.

2 adults and skinny 17 year old and about 20 kilos of baggage. Everything ok until we joined M60 from M62 -J12 Then a few miles on it started being weird. Foot hard on the accelerator but not able to reach 65mph with revs never above 3000 (4th or 5th).. It got worse until it was impossible to get above 60mph..foot on the floor but revs still only 3000 (4th or 5th). When it became too difficult to get it above 50mph in 4th gear I pulled over RAC man ran diagnostics and found nothing wrong.

I know the M60 is climbing on this stretch but it should make 70. (I gave it an oil and filter change 3 days ago.) Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Arthur R

Garage actually carried out the oil and filter chg.

Reply to
Arthur R

Check all the vac hoses for splits. Especially the joiners on pipe that goes to the MAP sensor. Not sure about Vauxhall but experience with other GM products says the rubber bits in the engine fall apart and split. (though that was 55 plate)

Temp fix for any split hose is £2.50 roll of self amalgamating tape from Screwfix or other hardware store. Internet is full of £15 rolls of the same stuff for fixing GM inlet duct between air filter and manifold, while the actual part with air inlet sensor is around £20.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Wouldn't that fault be detected by the RAC guys maguffin?

Reply to
Arthur R

The symptoms sound to me like it's detected an emissions fault and put the engine into 'Limp Home' mode.

But I would have expected to see some evidence of that in the dash lights and diagnostics.

Is it belching out blue smoke from the exhaust, indicating piston ring failure?

Is it still playing silly B's - or has it now righted itself?

Reply to
Roger Mills

My personal experience was my brother's 55 plate 1.4 Kalos. Wouldn't pull up hills, difficulty pulling away from junctions when warm. No codes on scan tool, no pending codes and mil wasn't lit.

A 90 degree rubber elbow joining manifold to MAP sensor had a split in it. The inlet trunk concertina was in tatters, may have been obstructing inlet flow. Taped both up, bother reported that it "flew" up a big hill with 3 and a weeks shopping onboard.

Yes it is odd that the ECU doesn't detect any problem and throw codes. My 30 year old car with an ECU that is basically a BBC model B, 8bit CPU, 1Mhz, 16K rom chip for code+maps will detect when airflow meter is outside expectations of throttle position and engine speed and put it into limp home mode - usually means I failed to tighten a hose clamp properly and have installed a massive boost leak, part throttle vacuum sucks the joint shut. For throttle position (alpha) and engine speed (n) the manifold pressure should be known. That's how the crudest simple Alpha-N system works. Map + temp sensor (density) or AFM are extras to get fuelling within lambda.

Alpha-N crap on hills, tuners love it for drag racing as it's so simples.

Peter Hill