Maybe a daft petrol question

Both rather the same. The basic material cheap, but taxed to the hilt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dan saying something like:

If you don't actually know what you're blethering about, it would be better to make sure of your facts, rather than post bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Possibly to do with the locations of the petrol stations and the type of roads driven on to get home.

It's very unlikely that Asda and BP petrol are any different. Indeed they will all probably come from the same refinery.

Round our was all petrol comes from Fawley, regardless of whether it's BP, Asda or whatever.

The Ultimate stuff may burn slightly differently as they dilute it with various stuff before it goes on sale.

BTW, all these fuels with additives (Such as Ultimate) are a con. The petrol companies don't add the additives to make the fuel better, they add them to dilute the fuel. ie. they increase their profits.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

So please explain how adding something to petrol doesn't dilute it?

Additives *ARE* far cheaper than petrol when you buy in bulk. Obviously those silly little bottles of stuff that people buy are overpriced.

Additives are just there for the placebo effect. To get a true indictation of MPG you need to do *thousands* of journeys using different fuels and take an average. One or two journeys is not enough.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

The majority of reports regarding 'Ultimate' fuel are negative..

Reply to
sPoNiX

If you have an engine which can make use of the higher octane, then it will be better. As has been the case since the petrol engine was invented. Most cars are designed for 95 octane, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Petrol isn't an element. An additive will modify its composition, not 'dilute' it.

All the things they add to petrol are cheaper than the 'base' spirit? Can you give some actual figures?

Without 'additives' to the base spirit as refined, the average modern engine wouldn't last five minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Proportions and semantics. If I add a squirt of washing up liquid to a bath of water, have I diluted the bathwater? Most people would say no. I have however diluted the washing up liquid. What proportion of fuel as delivered at the pumps do you think is made of these additives?

Don't talk s**te. Petrol is _very_ cheap - remember, it's the pre-tax price we're concerned about here.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I was once told that petrol sold in Japan was all 100RON, and owners of imported cars (FTO in this case) were therefore instructed to run them on Optimax or similar.

Reply to
Tom Robinson