merc sprinnter 311cdi

hello to all, is it normal for a 311 merc sprinnter on a 52 plate to only rev to 4000rpm when its got 7000rpm on the clock, and if anyone thinks its got a rev limiter could any tell me were it is

Reply to
wenborne

Yes, it's perfectly normal. It's been the case ever since the mid-80s when they changed the laws of physics, affecting the diesel combustion process, resulting in no diesel engine being able to rev past about 5000rpm absolute max (often less, depending on the design and power/torque characteristics).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Yes, any more and it'll blow its top.

Yes it has, all of ours were adjusted over the weekend and limited to

70, abstrads

Haven't a clue, I'm too attached to my wages to fiddle under their bonnet.

Reply to
Keith

Yes, the 54 plate 311 CDis I used to drive at work were electronically goverened to somewhere around 4000rpm.

Ours also had a governor that prevented you revving it over 2500rpm for half a minute or so when it was started from cold.

-- Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ours were limited to 80 when we got them but they had all the sprinters limited to 60 after a few speeding cases.

Our speed limiters were adjusted with a laptop via a plug under the dash somewhere.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes

In the pump.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I think you will find it's in the ECU.

Reply to
SimonJ

Ok the injection system. However there's often a speed limiter as well,

1/2 the ones I drive are limited to 68mph.
Reply to
Duncanwood

The tacho is universal.

All diseasals run only to around 4500 ish rpm, thats how they work.

All the current CDi Sprinters and the new transits, and the LDV Maxxus can be electronically limited to ~70mph (or infact from around 35mph to Vmax), regardless of gear via the ECU and a laptop.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Going by the way some of the nutters drive them on the roads, limiting them is not quite a bad idea after all.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

yup they jut won't rev past that point all ours do exactly the same the vitos will spin up almost to their 4700 red line, but the sprinters, for some reason, just stop at 4k

Reply to
dojj

Welcome to Europe.

Reply to