mercedes sprinter revs problems

hi i dont have much details at the moment however my mates van is giving problems its a 2000w reg sprinter (facelift 311cdi) model and it has an intermittent problem of only going up to 3000 rpm until you switch off the ignition then start again may be ok for a while . also what he has noticed giving more problems when carrying a full load (delivering parcels) .oh yeah its a LWB if this makes a difference? he went to his local garage they are saying could be turbo or may be exhaust ???? any ideas ????

please help as he is pulling his hair out

TIA

Reply to
swat

intermittent

Sounds like it's going into "limp home mode" to me, the ECU has noticed something awry and is cutting the revs at 3000. My first step would be getting the fault codes read...

Reply to
Tony Bond

intermittent

EDC fault.

Pretty common on sprinters, usually the light comes on on the dash aswell, and it wont start at all.

Reply to
SimonJ

Reply to
swat