Peugeot 306 alarm and imobiliser

I have a 306 Diesel (XLDT) N reg (second hand) and I've heard it is supposed to come with an alarm and imobiliser.

There doesn't seem to be an imobilser of any kind and the alarm doesn't seem to work. I've have checked the switch under the bonnet but nothing happens, no indicator flash or noise, when I accivate the central locking?

Can anyone give me a clue as to why it isn't working?

Thanks in advance Neil

Reply to
Neil

I used to have an N reg XR, these never had alarms. So I doubt the XL does either as I think it's a lower trim model (from memory I think the trim starting from lowest was XN, XL, XR, XS then XT).

The immobiliser is in the form of an electronic keypad in front of the gearstick. The facelifted model (late P regs I believe) also had an immobiliser but not in the form of a keypad.

If you don't know about the keypad immobiliser, have you actually tried to start the car up since buying it? ;o) (AFAIK all 306's pre-facelifted models irrespective of trim had the keypad, although I think I must be wrong...)

Reply to
Johnny

Facelifted 306's (April 97 onwards, with Peugeot badge integral with tailgate release) have a RF activated transponder chip fitted in the keyfob, and a transmitter/receiver antenna coil mounted next to/around the ignition switch.

I've only driven one pre-facelift 306 and that was a hire car back in '95. (1.8 Auto - handled Birchwood's roundabouts like it was on rails)

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

If your car deffo has the alarm unit, then it'll have got water in it and be fubar'd,

look up under the passengers side wing, you may just be able to see an alarm box.. on me brothers L reg 306 it's orange, his arms and all that, but the sounder dosent work.. it flashes the headlights when set off etc, just the sounder has been knacked,

they're a paint to get to, and so notorious for water ingress problems peugeot brought out a replacement alarm unit for anyone who asks them to fix this model alarm.. they charge about 3 to 400 quid for this mind, but check first, may have come down.

the switch in the engine bay is a valet switch, turns the whole system off or on, we didnt have the key and the system was turned off.. the lock is easily picked with a paperclip, so it's turned on, but has no sounder,

my brother treats the car like shit, so i've never bothered pulling the alarm box out and looking inside it, (every week he comes home with anotehr dent or broken lamp, i'd be relieved the day he looses the bloody thing to be honnest, getting fed up of panel beating.. maybe i'll panel beat his head next :)

Reply to
Gazz

Mine has the alarm. When I use the dead locks (the small button on the rmeote), the indicators come on for about 2 seconds. When I then open the doors the indicators flash quickly for 2 seconds. Mine's an N reg D turbo. If I get in the car using the key rather than the remote, you can't turn the engine and the headlights flash, but the alarm doesn't sound as it's knackered, common 306 problem. The key under the bonnet is just to turn off the siren, not the whole alarm. My mate's old P reg D Turbo had the keypad immobiliser, but no alarm.

Neil

Reply to
Neil D