Middle aged crisis - looking at a MGF

A rather nice looking MGF has come up for sale locally to me, 1.8vvc, P reg (96/97) for £1000. I'm sorely tempted. A quick look around the outside shows the cosmetics in reasonable order, some rust bubbles at the front of the OS door, otherwise no corrosion. A google shows they are prone to head gasket failures, and a few other faults, like the exhaust header pipe decaying, and suspension falling.

Any other thing I should definitely look at before I take it for a drive? [Oh, and are there any 25yo blonde bimbos free to sit alongside me? Food, drink and sex provided on a regular basis to the right applicant - come on, I do need an accomplished assistant for this car!)

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

An MX-5.

Might cost a bit more, but that's because they're an infinitely better car.

Reply to
SteveH

An older, slightly more expensive MX-5 would be an infinitely better idea than a shagged MGF.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

MX-5

Reply to
Abo

forget it they are a pile of s**te, i work/worked on these & they are glorified mini metros, have a look at the front hubs, they couldnt even be arsed to remove the outer cv joints, they just removed all the guts and left the housing there & its metro front subframe. if you ever get a gearshift cable brake they are a right barstard to fit.

Reply to
reg

I've never understood why anyone would buy an MGF when the MX5 exists.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Buying some wellies, and umbrells, and a bumper pack of head geaskets?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Price for the most part. Then coming up with some idealistic crap about the MGF being mid / rear. And yes it is, but then I raise the game of MR2....

...but then what can golf clubs fit into?

Reply to
DervMan

Avoid roads with speed bumps - the ones that don't go all the way across the road.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

you have a unanimous answer then, MX5 it is ! Perhaps when the 'summer' ends though ? Personally I think a Z4 is nice, but try getting one if those for a grand.. don't think so !

Reply to
mr p

Depends whether your taste in headgear is tweed cap or leather cap, surely. Same bristly moustaches in both cases, mind you.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

In message , A.Lee writes

Move along please, nothing to see here.....

Time to dig out your old metro manuals....

Reply to
Clint Sharp