MK2 Golf tailgate loom

It seems that one of the lamps that isn't working on my tailgate may be down to the wiring rather than the bulb - I've swapped bulbs but I'm yet to check the voltage with a multimeter. Anyway - does anyone know if the wiring runs around the bottom of the boot / rear panel, or does it come straight from the fusebox, under the roof lining? Are there any connectors which commonly pack up?

Reply to
Doki

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Doki, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I think there are.

My number plate lights are dull as anything if the boot is open, but when I close the boot they come on bright as they should be.

Reply to
Pete M

This could turn out to be the job that makes me drive the car up to the back of the shed and torch it. I'll personally go to Wolfsburg and track the bastards who designed the wiring down if it goes over the headlining. OTOH I've never noticed any wiring in stripped golfs on the roof.

Reply to
Doki

On my old Rover SD1 which is a hatchback it runs all the way along the floor (both sides) to the very back of the car then up the pillars to get to the hatch pivot point. So lots of voltage drop for things like the central locking.

But I removed the headlining to fit a roof aerial and recover it and despite having a sunroof it's nothing like as daunting a task as it first seems. However you'd need pretty thick windscreen pillars to run the entire loom from front to back - I'd a devil of a job just getting the aerial cables down them. I'd to use both sides.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)