mk4 golf handbrake

I'm helping a friend with their golf so asking on their behalf.

The handbrake pulls quite high, holds the car fine on hills but clicks about

8-10 times and comes up past the base of the seat so I consider that excessive.

Is their a way to adjust the handbrake to tighten it all up ?

thanks kindly

Reply to
Pete

You will have to look at the brake pads themselves.

You don't adjust the handbrake itself, which is usually "set for life", before checking the brakes at the wheels. Most likely on this you need to replace the rear pads to correct the handbrake adjustment.

These have an internal thread adjuster into the piston and its run out of adjustment. This has to be reset before replacing the pads. There are cheaper alternatives to buying the tool that will work.

:)

or buy just a tool for 3/8"or 1/2" drive socket set. You can get universal ones like

Someone else may suggest where to get one.

How to in pictures

Rob

You will have to look at the brake pads themselves.

You don't adjust the handbrake itself, which is usually "set for life", before checking the brakes at the wheels. Most likely on this you need to replace the rear pads to correct the handbrake adjustment.

These have an internal thread adjuster into the piston and its run out of adjustment. This has to be reset before replacing the pads. There are cheaper alternatives to buying the tool that will work.

or buy just a tool for 3/8"or 1/2" drive socket set. You can get universal ones like

Someone else may suggest where to get one.

How to in pictures

Wow excellent post Rob, thanks.

I thought at the back of the centre console in line with the handbrake there was an adjuster for the handbrake which I remember seeing when I installed a armrest and had to have the centre arm off. Nothing ever simple lol.

I luckily have a laser rewind tool I bought from halfords when I did the front and rear brakes 2 years ago made the job simple. I did make a mistake when I did the job I did release the handbrake which I realised when I had finished, so possible I could have damaged something. But from memory it was fine afterwards.

I've just had a look at the rear pads and they seem only half worn with plenty of meat on them. Surley too early to change them ?

I believe there are 2 cables for each caliper from memory which is terrible so correct me freely. The extra slack could be that one cable is broken, or they have stretched. If thats the case is possible to just replace the cable or does the caliper have the be changed if its an internal mechanism ?

When I get home later I shall rope my stroppy daughter (teenage years) in the car to operate the handbrake and see whats happening at the caliper end for both sides. I should seem it lock up and do its thing if not then something wrong either the cable or caliper could be at fault. I'm don't know the world about these things so am purely having a go.

So far though the car holds fine on hills, but if this is a sign of impending failure which would be bad as we live in a hilly area.

If it is the cables is that something that can be done on the ground on will it need jacking up. I guess its routed from caliper to the handbrake, god knows what covers these cables or how its routed if is accessible to just crawl under. Not major issue jacking it just more work on a driveway than I would like to get involved with.

Reply to
Pete

I would still look at what's causing the cables to be slack.

There should have an equalizing bracket under the console. remove the console some screws on the side under covers as well. and have a good look at the bar situation and see if its equal.( I think you move the seats forward for access removing the console???.)

The Techo is on a training course at Audi refreshing his skills and getting passports stamped. He is back Friday, that will be the first opportunity Ill have to run it past him. He should call in home here after the course.

Reply to
Rob

I would still look at what's causing the cables to be slack.

There should have an equalizing bracket under the console. remove the console some screws on the side under covers as well. and have a good look at the bar situation and see if its equal.( I think you move the seats forward for access removing the console???.)

The Techo is on a training course at Audi refreshing his skills and getting passports stamped. He is back Friday, that will be the first opportunity Ill have to run it past him. He should call in home here after the course.

Thanks rob much appreciated

Reply to
Pete

many vehicles require a long lever travel or the self adjusting does not work and or the brakes wear out quickly. Check with an expert on that exact model as to what the factory spec is before adjusting anything. On disc calipers there will usually be an end stop for the cable, when the handbrake is off the cable should not be away from the end stop.

Reply to
Mrcheerful