Modifying to a different gearbox.

"Fred" distance into the gearbox.

People fit different boxes to engines all the time. Have a look through any of the tuning magazines - how do you think people get VW engines designed for transverse location into a RWD car?

Reply to
Doki

Just a wild guess but maybe they buy a conversion kit?

Reply to
Fred

In article , Fred >> you want to do is a dopey idea,

Both torque convertors have the same gearbox interface - ie tangs and splines are identical. Centralising the torque convertor wouldn't be much of a problem anyway as they have a spigot which fits the crank bush.

All these things are easily checkable.

The gear selector is cable and I've already checked it will fit easily. The most difficult part will be trimming around it. The speedo drive is more of a problem as there isn't one. ;-) So my first thought is to fit an ABS ring to one of the rear wheels.

You've more or less covered it.

I take it you've not much experience of modern autos?

Argon arc welding the two parts together will be just as strong as the original - and far more than is needed. The alignment issue is the reason for my questions...

You cut them loose and machine them true and to size. Hardly rocket science, I'd have thought.

Heh heh. I like doing weird things.

The only 'external' costs will be the machining, argon arc welding and having the prop altered. Everything else I can do myself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or.... ...just fit a 4.0 engine and box from a 5 or 7 series.

Reply to
adder1969

The way PPC did it was awful. Box had separate bell housing, so they made a steel front engine plate and rear plate to fit box, then welded strips of steel between to two. They reported it a failure in a later mag, it had distorted so much when welding it wouldn't line up properly even after having the front plate machined square to the rear.

Reply to
Peter Hill