Mondeo alternator

IMO major reason for the aversion to changing timing belts on a regular basis, is in many instances down to very poor accessibility and complexity, which obviously greatly increases time and labour costs.

One could therefore be excused for thinking that as it's an essential service item which should be replaced on a regular basis, the manufacturers would put a little extra effort into making the job of replacement relatively simple, i.e. a classic example being the much-quoted clutch replacement on the Mk2 Vauxhall Astra.

The timing belt (along with the associated water pump) on my old petrol Astra was a relatively straightforward job to do, especially after having been done once.

Whilst the GM diesel version I owned required the removal of an engine mount, rocker cover, and the use of a DTI tool/slide plate for timing belt replacement, IIRC all the alternative Isuzu engine required was the use of three locking studs for alignment.

Call me an old cynic Conor, but I'd go as far as to say that motor manufacturers have a vested interest in thousands of cars prematurely winding up in scrapyards!

Reply to
Ivan

Sounds like they gave you the retail price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've spent ages swearing at the water pumps on old astra. Mr Cheerfulls knock it out from the back approach would have avoided most of it though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you'd read this newsgroup back then you'd have expected to have needed several new camshafts, a couple of oil pumps & cylinder head. YMMV

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've seen a tv programme that said aliens liked kidnapping west country types....

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I was aware of the camshaft problem Duncan, but from about 60,000 miles on I always religiously used Magnatec oil, which I changed with a genuine Vauxhall oil filter every 6,000 miles without fail. As I said, I experienced absolutely no serious mechanical problems in almost

190,000 miles, and even then it was the body rot wot killed it!
Reply to
Ivan

Bad example, citing a Vaux of that age.

I forgot my 2nd car, 1981 Mk 2 Cavalier SR hatchback. Bought it at >100k=20 miles, after it had been stolen. New shells and rings (oil control rings=20 were knackered, surprise!, so I did the shells while the engine was in=20 bits), and IIRC, it only needed maintenance, plus a rear wheel bearing.

Total dream to work on, those cars! They had the double advantage that=20 they didn't go wrong, and were easy to fix if they did!

As for modern ones, if they keep going, they should go on forever. If=20 you have a lemon, it can be a *real* lemon.

Pete.=20

Reply to
Pete Smith

I learned that on the very first one I did. Fortunately, the engine was out of the car for a strip down.

Reply to
Conor