Mondeo alternator?

Not my car and I've just had time for a quick look at the problem...

The alternator seems to have gone - charge voltage is wandering about all the time and the battery went flat. It's a 98 Mondeo 1.8 diesel with a/c. I think the engine is an Endura-DE.

It looks as if the a/c compressor is installed on the end of the alternator(?) - two large pipes going into a thingummy on the none driven end of the alternator. Is there a way to replace the alternator without disturbing the a/c please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Brake vacuum pump, surely?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, two large steel pipes in - with what looked like a tyre valve plus dust cap in one of them, where the pipe went up past the bonnet catch. Part of the pipe work was flexible. The two pipes came out of the top and were fixed onto the pump(?) by a flat bracket with a single bolt in the middle top.

As said it was just a very quick look, in the dark and cold last night.

Could it be the diesel fuel pump perhaps and the valve a bleed nipple?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds like the aircon pipes, and the compressor you were looking at.

The Alternator is below it...

Reply to
moray

depending on the exact model the alternator is on the back or the front of the engine

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful expressed precisely :

It is at the front of the engine and in the lower left hand corner (off side) as you look under the bonnet from the front.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The alternator is on the lhs of the engine to remove it you need to remove the wheel and 10mm extention on ratchet to undo the tenstioner then remove the intercooler and remove the 3 bolts holding the alternator to the engine.

-- regards

Reply to
MOO MOO

You are (I believe) looking at the compressor.

the last mondeo diesel alternator that I replaced was on a 97 version and it was behind the engine, very hard to see till you dismantle stuff.

The real giveaway is the dirty great wires going to it, the compressor only has a couple of small wires

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful submitted this idea :

Thanks to both....

I'll no doubt get a chance to have a proper look at it this weekend.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield