Mondeo failed MOT on emissions - what can I check at home?

My MK1 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec failed it's MOT today on emissions.

Fast idle - fail

CO 9.45% HC 334ppm Lambda 0.79

Second Fast idle test - Fail

CO 1.12% HC 104ppm Lambda 1.00

Natural Idle test - PASS

CO 0.31%

Any pointers as to what's wrong? The car has been abused[1] a little I have to admit. As the second fast idle test is much better, will a long-needed airfilter, set of plugs and leads, and an Italian tune-up rectify it, or am I looking at £££££s getting the codes read at the dealer again?

[1] by abused I mean it's had regular oil changes, a set of discs and pads, and nothing else at all.

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Try a bloody good caning and take the free retest?

Reply to
Doki

Did the emission fail give an oil temp or did it say it was by passed?

Reply to
Mill Autos

Says it was bypassed. Why?

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

'cos if it was bypassed, there's a fair chance that the engine wasn't up to temp - causing the fail 'cos the autochoke was still on!

Reply to
Paul King

but it's not a diesel is it Italian tune up after the new air filter and make sure you get it to the station when it's hot failing that, is the cat ok?

Reply to
dojj

The first and second readings are quite different which is a bit odd. Certainly check the air filter & spark plugs & rotor arm/cap if there is one.

Reply to
adder