VW Golf 1.9TDI mpg?

Off to view a VW W reg 1.9 TDI (90) tomorrow. Diesel car mag says it has a mpg of 43.3 mpg which looked like it was the lowest of nearly all others in the range. Is this correct- I thought i would be able to expect over 50 mpg? Thanks

-- Regards, Stu Devereux. Fax no. 08701339568 (Outside UK fax 448701339568) E-mail. snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Stewart Devereux

It's a plain old DI (or even indirect) engine isn't it the 90? Up to you, but for me I wouldn't look at anything lower than a 130. I've seen 60mpg on a fast run (80+ motorway) from the PD130 estate.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Like all cars, the fuel consumption you get from it depends on how you drive it, and under what conditions. Even with the lardy Golf, you'd be able to achieve fuel consumption figures _well_ over 50 mpg with all of the diesels - as a "typical" figure I must add.

For what it's worth, the Euromix for the '99 Golf TDI (90) is 57.7 mpg. The one I borrowed only managed 51 mpg, but I was gooning it on corners (lift off, the ECU cuts fuel, so you can't heel and toe, and the back end swings out wide, heh).

I was rather hoping to crash it and write it off . . . :(

Reply to
DervMan

My dad's Passat TDi (90bhp) has managed 55mpg pretty much all the time over the last 30k. Must be time to stop for fuel soon...

Jon

Reply to
MVT

My girlfriend drives her GT TDi 130 like a lunatic and yet we still see 50+ MPG all the time. Bloody fast car too.

Reply to
Kalico

Why does that stop H&T ? When you depress the acelerator during H&T, presumably it injects ? Dont understand you, please explain....

Steve

Reply to
sro

Why not? It's not hard to do on my Bora TDi...or is that just the way I drive?

At least it's not any where as brutal as the Ford Traction Control...

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

Ah, I see.

How will TCS affect the need to match rpm on downshifts ? If you dont do this you either slip the clutch ( nice for wear and tear and you cant execute quick/smooth downshifts ) or you let it up quick and apply large reverse torque to driving wheels. Has your car got a torque limiting clutch like some motorbikes ?

Steve

Reply to
sro

It won't as far as I know. I thought you wanted it for cornering.

Reply to
Makhno

I find it okay on corners; understeers a bit though. Handles better than a normal Golf, having tried that and the Bora. Company Car list wouldn't let me have a Golf GTTDi, alas..:-(

Reply to
Phil Howard

It is, but the VW softness hides it better.

Reply to
DervMan