Mondeo G/box leak from selector shaft.

My Dads Mondeo 1.8 has got an oil leak coming from where the gearshift shaft enters the gearbox. I am presuming it is just a oil seal behind there that needs replacing? Before I say I'll do it, I'd like to check if it is a quick simple job - are there likely to be any problems when changing it - it is going for a service in May, and could be replaced then, but he is worried that the gearbox oil level would drop too much between now and Easter, when he is going away for a few days. Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

You are correct, it is an oil seal. I had one that leaked and took it to MSF Ford. Unfortunately they are a fast turn around part fitting service, so people working there don't need to know much about cars - and often don't in my experience. They had to take the gearbox out, then change the seal and finally put it all back together and fill up the engine. The YTS person FORGOT to put the seal in and I drove away minus £135. Later I noticed the oil all over the drive. I took it back the next day and they took it apart and advised that the clutch would need changing due to being contaminated by oil. So that was changed and I refused to pay for it as it was their mistake. I also had to wait while they ordered parts! Three days in total it took them to get it right. It's now difficult to find a decent garage with people that can diagnose a problem or take an engine to bits. Most are these fast fitting services that pressurise the workers into selling parts that are not required.

Reply to
Ian

Changing the seal alone is a relatively easy job. Just prise the old one out, and tap the new one in place with a long punch.

One thing to to note though, is a new seal doesn't always cure the problem. I've seen the selector shafts wear, which causes them not to sit centrally in the seal, and they still leak.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill