Mondeo Headlamps Yellowing ???

Hi all

The headlamps on my 93 Mondeo are turning yellow, I know this is a common problem as most of the MK1's I have seen have yellow headlamps.

My car is about due for its MOT and I have been told this yellowing is now and MOT failure. Can anyone confirm that this is now a failure.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul

i thought it was because the lenses were plastic and you had to use UV capped bulbs with them or else they went yellow. You will need newe lenses now.

Reply to
james

Wrong bulbs cause this, usually. The colour isn't too critical for MoT, but the beam pattern will be disturbed and may cause a fail.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Do you know if the lenses can be changed or do I have to replace the headlamp.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The part that goes yellow are available from ford...... £15.00 each... a common fault on 1993 - 1996 mondeos..... If the original headlamps are still fitted you must split them at the centre at the bonnet latch... otherwise a simple job.

JK

Reply to
JK

Hi Paul,

The plastic lenses can be changed, but only Ford supply them at 25UKP each!

I have two for sale if you are interested....but it depends how close you are to Cheltenham.

Be warned though, I changed mine and the lights still failed the MOT. Got a pair from the local motor factors at roughly 100UKP. Either way, you need to remove the front bumper to remove the lights...

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

My Mondeo failed last year on "low intensity and no beam pattern".

I thoroughly cleaned all glass and reflector surfaces(the reflector is plastic and scratches very easily.

I dunked the plastic lenses, which were badly yellowed, in a jar of neat bleach for 48 hours. The yellow tinge did not completely disappear but was rendered several shades lighter(I did them one at a time to verify this).

Result - Intensity and pattern restored, MOT passed, didn't need to spend the £52 Ford quoted me for new lenses.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Serrac

Reply to