mondeo oil filter mishap

Hello,

I was trying to change the oil in my Mondeo (60 plate, 2.0L diesel). I had drained all the oil from the engine when I went to change the oil filter. The Haynes book said to use a 27mm socket, so I did not foresee any problems but what the book did not tell me was that there was little clearance above the filter, so although I could fit the socket; I could not attach the handle!

I tried to use a spanner but just broke some of the plastic faces off the top of the filter housing, so I decided to stop before things got even worse.

I only had this one car that now had now oil in, so I could not drive somewhere to buy something to help me. I had two options: put the old oil back in or put new oil in and use the old filter. I went with the latter.

I have now bought a suitable, low profile socket and new filter housing, so I would like to change the filter but do I change all the oil all over again, or just drain enough that I can swap the filter? (Does anyone know how much oil that would be?) Or should I not worry and leave it all until the next scheduled change? Even if the old filter is dirty, won't the dirt be trapped because the filter is filtering?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

change the filter, you do not need to drain any oil. Make the next oil/filter change a bit earlier than normal. there is a cranked spanner available for filter removal.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Just change the filter.

After running the engine for a couple of minutes, stop it and allow the level to settle. Top up as needed - probably 1/2 litre or less.

BTW, if the filter gets very dirty, it can't pass enough oil through it to maintain pressure. There is a relief valve that opens in that situation, and allows unfiltered oil to circulate, as that's the lesser of two evils.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan