Mondeo or Passat

My friend keeps on asking me what I think new shape Mondeo or new shape Passat, he already drives a T reg Passat and is looking to change his car, in my opinion Passat wins hands down.

Jrg

Reply to
James

The message from "James" contains these words:

And?

Reply to
Guy King

I can't see why either would disappoint. Brand new the VW will have better residuals, therefore, if buying nearly new, the Mondeo will be cheaper.

Having driven both extensively, I would find the Mondeo TDCi 130 hard to beat.

Reply to
Doctor D

I am not a great fan of Ford's - probably unfounded prejudice, as I have never owned one!

I have owned a few VW's ranging from 1982-2004 models, I have owned 3*Mk2 VW Polo's - 1*VW Golf Mk3 Estate 2.0, 1*VW Touran 2.0TDI (140Bhp) + 1* SEAT Cordoba Vario Estate TDI (90Bhp)

My general opinion of VW is that the older ones where superb, but the newer ones have lost there edge.

I think I would opt for a Skoda Superb instead of the Passat or Mundano, but again, I cannot speak for the FORD.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I've had both; prefer the Mondeo. Especially the 130 tdci - it actually puts out about 145 BHP.

Reply to
TTT

Likewise. I'm dead chuffed with mine - estate version and huge.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It's tweaked up in the X type Jag isn't it?

On a 2000 mile hack through France our Mondeo 130 averaged 52 mpg - out accelerated our friends 2.0 petrol Mondeo on every incline, and cost us £96 in diesel to their £212 in petrol!

Reply to
Doctor D

Having played the comparison the Mondeo Estate definitely seemed to have more usable space then the A6, ate the Passat for breakfast.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Why?

The current Passat is getting quite seriously old now - it's been in production for the last 8 years. It has reasonably good diesel engines, and the 1.8Ts, V5s and W8s can be quite fun. The residuals are quite strong, but the build quality and reliability are average at best.

Having driven both extensively as part of a competitor evaluation exercise, I would choose the Mondeo every time - it's better built, more reliable, shedloads more interior space, the diesel engines are better (although the petrol ones are nothing special) and comprehensively out-handles the Passat on our less-than-perfect British roads. I wouldn't, however, buy a brand-new one, as the first-year depreciation is quite shocking...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker