Mondeo Radio

Hello Group

I wonder if anyone can help me, I need a radio for my 1997 Mondeo as it did not come with one, all the wiring is there unmolested and I have looked in Haldfords for converters to standard din to no avail. What do I need to fit a standard of the shelf radio and where is the cheapest place to find all the parts online.

TIA

Jon

Reply to
Chunk

The connector i bought was from halfords,10.99 then you can fit any radio into it,obviously you plug the wires in the car into one end and the radio in the other,or try your local scrap yard for a genuine ford radio,if u do try and get the code with it as well.The one i bought was for a mk2 mondeo so they do them.

HTH

SIMON.

Reply to
sierra

Halfords sell them. Yours would have been out of stock probably.

Ask the spotty chap at the audio counter and he'll order you one for about a tenner.

The blanking plate to allow you to fit a standard radio will be another tenner or so.

Reply to
Doug

A multimeter (£10), a soldering iron (£5), some solder and some insulation tape (or some method for joining wires so they don't fall apart after a couple of shakes).

My suggestion is that you look for a radio that you like (I'm keen to get one that plays MP3 CD's - 10 hours of music per CD) or one with the security features you want rather than one that says "Ford" on it.

With most radios you need to find an earth, an ignition switched 12V and a permanent 12V. Poke the wires with your multimeter to find what is what. The other wires will probably be for the speakers (check they are the same colour as those that emerge where the speakers are. You can't miss the aerial lead. The manual with the radio (or a diagram on the radio itself) will tell you which wires from the radio connect to each.

Failing that, if you remove the trim around your cigarette lighter you should find something to connect it to there.

___

DP

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

Apart from the fact that the Autoleads lead is less than your £15, it pays for itself immediately by allowing you to not spend the entire afternoon ar$ing about with the loom in a confined space.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I am a dab hand with a soldering iron but have no intention of butchering the existing loom. I will buy an MP3 CD player though and get the plug and socket connectors from good ol spotty at Halfords. Hmm I wonder if they do a player that will play 4.6GB of MP3 on DVDRom?

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
Chunk

You could always look in Ebay for a Ford radio

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

You pay your money and take your choice. The multimeter and soldering iron "fit" all radios and can be used for a plethora of other jobs.

The confined space need not be a problem if you use long enough wires. It is usually beneficial to remove some trim anyway to secure the back of the radio.

Reply to
DP