Pug 206 GTi vs VW GTi

Hi all,

Quick comparison: Pug 206 GTi vs VW GTi, assuming both are 2.0 2000 models.

Any thoughts appreciated, including performance, economy, cost of care/parts, what's likely to go wrong/be wrong. One of these may be next car after my Mk IV astra suffered a head gasket gone awry (which is now on the market if anyone wants to pick up some cheap bits...!)

DSt.

Reply to
DSt

VW never made a 2000 2.0 GTi that would be a highline rebadged by the UK dealer network.

Reply to
Depresion

Eh........so what engines did they do for Golf GTi's in the year 2000?

DSt.

Currently looking at a VR6, though not so sure i can afford it...

Reply to
DSt

1.8 Turbo.
Reply to
SteveH

Lardy Golf or less lardy Peugeot?

It's a hot hatch FFS. Get a diesel if you want to worry about economy.

The only Golf to merit a GTI badge back in 2000 is the 1.8 turbo, where you'll see mid to high thirties on a run and high twenties to low thirties under most conditions.

You'll see about the same from the Peugeot.

Too many variables here.

The mark four Golf doesn't work as a GTI. The six pot variants are nose heavy. All are lardy.

Think: Seat Ibiza / Leon, Skoda Octavia if you really *must* have VAG technology.

Think: Honda Civic Type R if you want something quick and reliable.

Reply to
DervMan

After the hassle we've had at work recently with Honda's, I'd remove the reliable bit.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Depends on the year certainly, some people think buying a Honda means it

*wont* fail, whereas it's actually the case that statistically it's less *likely* to fail than an equivelant french/british car.
Reply to
David R

VR6 means MK3 doesn't it? They seem to rot worse than MK2s that are 10 years older. The only options for Golf GTis that make any sense are these: MK2, MK4 1.8t (preferably the 180) or Seat Cupra, or a MK5. MK1s are all rusted away, and MK3s are shit.

Reply to
Doki