more usefull than WD 40 ??

I'm told WD 40 is mainly a paraffin based substance, good for displacing moisture but of very limited use for lubrication, since its too thin. when my car door lock get a bit sticky WD 40 works for while, but soon need some more. I know you are supposed to put graphite powder in locks (because oil attracts dirt) but its so messy and awkward to use generally.

is there something convenient like WD 40 with better lubricating properties? preferably something that does not attract dirt like ordinary sticky oils?

thanks.

Reply to
john west +++

you can get a silicon lubricant in a spray can

Reply to
Scott Mills

The message from "john west +++" contains these words:

You can get sprays of PFTE/Silicone combined which for /some/ applications work wonders.

Reply to
Guy King

There are a range of products available which consist of a volatile solvent [paraffin or similar] which carries a suspension of PTFE particles as the actual lubricant, the idea being that the solvent carries the PTFE particles into the lock/whatever and then the solvent evaporates so doesn't leave any gunge-trapping stickiness behind.

Try order-code 87-1126 available through Rapid Electronics -

PJML

thanks. would that be suitable for use on mechanical parts like sewing machines and carburettor linkages etc ?

Reply to
john west +++

The message from "john west +++" contains these words:

I'd use fine oil on sewing machines (which is what the manufacturers usually suggest) and grease on linakes.

Reply to
Guy King

there are no grease nipples on my corolla.

Reply to
john west +++
3 in 1 now do PTFE and Silicone lubricants in aerosol cans.

Should be available at your local hardware store.

Reply to
Tom Burton

The message from "john west +++" contains these words:

Tricky one. Spray grease?

Reply to
Guy King

A car door hinge is something you just slap some grease on. It's not like there's any wear going on, compared to say the CV joints, you just want to stop it squeaking and rusting.

Reply to
Doki

You can buy spray grease in a tin. About £2 from motorfactors.

Reply to
Conor

would spray grease attract dirt? if so i guess it should not be used in locks and stuff.

Reply to
john west +++

If you can get it try Triflow. Its a combination PTFE/silicone lubricant in a spray can. It's 'kin expensive (over 10ukp a can I think) but it'll lubricate anything. We use it at work on radiotherapy equipment so it withstands radiation well and should cope with anything a car can throw at it. And it smells like peardrops too. so far I've used it on motorbike chains, record players, doorlocks drills......

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

RS used to do a polish perfumed with cedar oil. Mmmm, luvverly.

Reply to
Guy King

Oil would attract dirt. The manufacturers seem to have no problem using either.

Reply to
Conor

thanks to all for advice. i have now bought a can of ptfe and it's brilliant. so much better than wd-40. john west

Reply to
j ww