MOT Test.

In other words, the "number showing" is not correct, which was the original question.

Reply to
Goff Deegle

Just hope you don't have a puncture on the way to the test, though!

Reply to
NT

Well if the spare is flat/bald/illegal you cant fit it anyway, so not much point it being there. Rather than take it out, why not just get a fresh tyre on it?

Reply to
SimonJ

: Is it one of those things like the spare - if it's fitted, it has to work?

That's a myth, too. You can keep as many knackered tyres on duff wheels in the boot as you like, and it won't affect the MOT.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: Meaningless. I've owned a couple of classics that've done bugger all : between MOT's and I've MOT'd a car with less mileage on than the : previous test due to a speedo head change.

Last time I MOT'ed the 2CV it went round the clock on the way to the centre. The tester looked at the odometer: "00001" and said "Oh. New speedo, was it?"

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

If you are at the side of a road with a flat tyre and an illegal but blown up spare, like everyone else you would fit it and hope you weren't stopped.

IME it is really unlikely that you will get pulled over for anything, ever, unless of course you breach a speed limit/gun or have a tax disc expired.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As an old councillor once said to me when I was a teenage motorist. "There is the obvious and the obscure. If you look after the obvious, the obscure will look after itself". "Make sure your lights are working, boy, and that there's a current tax disc in the window. Don't get caught speeding or doing anything else which will bring attention to yourself".

He had two identical Austin Sevens. He taxed and insured one and when it went in for repairs he merely changed the mumber plates so that effectively, he taxed and insured a set of number plates, not a car.

Of course, these were the wonderful days before MOTs, VINs and all the other paraphernalia that the modern motorist has to put up with.

Reply to
Alasdair

At one stage my dad had three identical Bedford minibuses all had the reg. ALU822B. Care had to be taken that they weren't hired out at the same time.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful