MPG for Vectra SRI 2.0.

Got a new vectra....welll third hand but you know what I mean. Anyway, I've just been driving around rural and got about 26 mpg. Is this accurate or might my car engine need some tuning? Also, when I start the engine AND IM STATIONARY the inst cond reads a whopping 1.8mpg/per hour then it comes down to 0.2 - 0.3 and keeps jumping between 0.2 and 0.3.

Also

My rev counter is at 0.6 when I'm stationary and unless I give the car a wee bit of gas when I pull off then it will stall. I'm use to driving diesel cars when you dont need to give it any gas when your pulling away. Might I need more revs?

Any advice would be helpful as I cant seem to find any good websites,

Regards,

John

As we flow down life's rivers I see the stars glow - one by one All angels of the magic constellation Be singing us now

Reply to
John

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.au.nz (John) contains these words:

What would you expect it to read when you're burning fuel and not going anywhere?

Reply to
Guy King

Yep, you need to support it with more revs. Do this at low revs to avoid wearing the clutch out.

And it's not mpg/hour, it's just gallons/hour. When the engine's cold (i.e. it's just been started) the figure will be a lot higher as petrol engines are a lot less efficient until fully warmed up, then it's a lot less (0.2/0.3 like you say).

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Wow ... they finally got stuff on new vectras which old german cars had in the eighties!!!! Can we therefore assume the vectra is on equal par to the old E34/E32 cars???

Reply to
Mr Fix It

Sorry, whats your point?

Reply to