Heater blower slows down?

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TD, heater blower fan slows down within first few minutes of being switched on, to a non -demisting crawl.

Asking for friend who is relaying symptoms, via txt, from a wet and windy spot somewhere in remotest western Scotland, hence lack of de-misting is proving to be a bit incovenient

Dosen`t think its heater switch, thinks may be dry bearings on heater motor, or mebbe debris sucked into heater box, any other suggestions?

If is motor, any ideas how accesible it is on this model?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

If this model has a pollen filter, have you changed it recently? ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Why would that affect the fan speed?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The same thing happened to my Mondeo and was cured by changing the pollen filter. I''m guessing it was because the motor had to work harder to "suck" through a clogged filter. What puzzled me, was why it didn't slow down straightaway, but over a period of a couple of minutes - weird.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

The message from Lee contains these words:

Fans usually run faster when unable to pull air through.

Reply to
Guy King

That's what had me puzzled initially, but it's been a long while since I did physics...does the load on the motor increase or decrease if the filter is blocked?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

The message from Lee contains these words:

Usually decreases - the air is unable to move through the fan, so it just starts spinning round and round with the blades. This involves a lot less energy than actually moving it along, so the motor speed rises.

Try it on the hoover if you're not sure.

Reply to
Guy King

Big thanks from Les in the far north, was indeed cracked air intake cover allowing the pollen filter to get soaking wet.Removal of sodd(ing)en pollen filter has cured demist problem.

Symptoms were exactly as you described Lee, thing worked for few minutes the slowed down to crawl.

Still puzzling over why though?

Thanks Again Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby